Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bentrod704

Shorten surf rod but?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I own a 10' okuma solaris surf rod made of IM6.

I'd like to reduce the length of its but and epoxy a new cap on. It's just to long for me.

Any Ideas on how to cut? Bandsaw? hacksaw? Pipecutter maybe? let me know.

Thanks

Most factory 10 footers don't come with very long butt to reel seat dimensions, if the rod is new to you I'd spend some more time getting used to casting it, the extra length can come in handy for leverage when tossing big plugs into the wind. Easy to shorten but not so easy to lengthen it back, if you must cut a couple wraps of masking tape over the spot and a fine blade hacksaw will do the trick, leave the leftover strip of tape in place to keep the cork from unraveling and slip on a new snug fitting butt cap.

Cut right through the cork tape. I use a pair of hose clamps to help keep the cut straight.

Cut in small increments, say 1" first cut and 1/2" thereafer until you get the feel you're after. You may be surprised how minor changes translate in big differences---> go slow.

If it's a bait or heavy plug rod, you definitely want to test cast as you go.

gad

Put masking tape around where you're going to cut to give you a nice straight line, then just buzz it off with a dremel. If it's cork taped, just shove a new butt cap on. If it's foam, measure how far the butt cap is gonna go on and cut the foam off with a razor, and PRESTO, yer done.