Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wetsuit'nMTK

reels seats

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

so here's the deal. had an 11 lami wrapper two years ago and in short the handle is just too short considering its my distance rod. however it is an epoxied on fuji seat. is it possible to move or remove this without having to strip the entire blank? i'm sure this question has been asked allready so if someone would kindly post a link to the thread... i just cant deal with another homework assignment

grats

You will have to very carefully cut the seat in half lengthwise and break it off. A dremel with a cutting wheel works pretty good or you could use a hacksaw. Use extreme care to not damage the blank. Then you can put a new reelseat on from the butt end. Of course it will have to be big enough to fit. Probably a size 26. It will be fatter and closer to the first guide which may be an issue. All in all a fairly nasty, PITA job.

Steve

I dont know if Tim will let me post tackle shops that do rod and reel repair but you have two places in Montauk.Or try the shop on the canal in Hampton Bays they kinda know what there doing.Having the reel seat and heavy grips removed from an old 11'1164 Lami and hope to make it a little lighter.Its being done in Patchogue at this time.

Dont have my reading glasses on and didnt see you are in RI anyway you shouldnt have any problem finding a place up there.

I've cut plenty of reel seats off. I use a hack saw and make a spiral cut....once you get through the metal collars it just peels off. You have to be careful not to cut the blank.

I like to cut a spiral cut like One Gunner suggests. First of all I cut through the fixed hood metal parts and then with a pointed metal bar prize of the hood. The next step is to make that spiral cut. I use what we call a baby hacksaw. A std size 10 inch blade is too hard to control. You cut and try to go all but not quite the way through the reel seat wall. You can then using the metal pick lever off the seat. If the rod has been well made there should be space under the seat. Reel seats should not be glued directly onto the blank but onto arbors. The old way and it still holds good is to use masking tape.. Now you are left with epoxy on the blank. This can be picked off using again the blunt pick or if it is reasonably smooth and concentric with the blank leave it on.

If you go slow it is not too dificult a job to do even the first time you do it. When re fixing any std 2 hour setting epoxy will do a good job.

Cheers

Mike O.

It's a simple job if you've done it before, if not it's risky to attempt it for the first time on an expensive blank like an Arra.

If you really feel you need a few more inches of butt length just tape the reel to the foregrip above the seat at the desired length and use the rod like that , until you can get it into the hands of somebody who can do the job for you...