Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNW

Lamiglas Blem Quality

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Al,

I have two Lamiglas blanks from Mudhole.com blem section. I'm going to start my rodbuilding this coming week and in the interest of saving money(I'm saving for a ring), I bought two blems to cut my teeth.

I understand that normally the old adage "You get what you pay for" holds true. I have the GSH901MT and the blank/blem looks great. No dings or scratches or anything that looks like it might interfere with the integrity of the rod. This will be the first rod I'll build.

I also have the CGBT841M, for some togging and other bottom fishing. This rod has some damage on the very bottom of the blank. It looks like the damaged area (a rough edge, no cracks) is limited to the edge of the bottom of the blank. This does not concern me as the damage does not extend any further than the edge. I can trim it off or just put the butt cap over it and be none the worse for wear. As I inspected the blem further I noticed that there is a slight curvature at the tip (the last 6" or so)of the rod.

This is the cause of concern for me regarding this blank. Is my concern about the structural integrity of the blank over this blemish warranted or is it just aesthetics? What are the variables that would adversely affect the function and performance of the rod? Also, is there anything I can do to enhance the performance of the rod to offset the blemish?

I'll build on the rod regardless but I want to know in the future whether I should be more selective and pay the extra money to get a top quality blank.

Thanks for your time and help!! smile.gif

Mike W.

Mike, My thoughts are blems are, they're great when you make them for yourself only. Mudhole has some pretty decent ones too. I recently purchased a lami blem 1081L that came with a real bad curve in the tip. When I called them to ask about returning it they said to keep it and we'll refund your money. Chopped a couple inches and it became a nice little conventional for my abu 5500. Can't beat that.

Mike,

The curve in the tip should not effect the performance of the rod. However, before starting any work on the blank thoroughly clean the blank and slowly and carefully inspect it.

Wash, dry and slightly powder your hands. Slowly run the tips of your fingers over the surface of the blank feeling for any imperfections. What you are looking for are structural impefections. You will bw able to feel then as bumps or lumps along the surface or nicks or gouges in the wall of the blank. If you find something like these then I would not build on the blank. It will eventually fail.

I have built on blems over the years and many have just cosmetic imperfections. I only would buy a blem if I picked them out myself. I have had too many bad experiences buying blems sight unseen. I use blems primarily to test out different models I have know experience with and for back up rods for friends that come fishing with me.

I agree with Al in the position of picking through blems to get the blanks that you are comfortable with for your own use. The question of the blems versus first run blanks has been a topic of discussion for many years.

The risk of your rod building reputation can hinge on the rod blanks that you build upon. The builder is responsible, in the eyes of the customer. Blems do not carry a manufacturers warranty. They are blanks that manufacturers have rejected because they will not stake their reputation on them, because they do not meet their quality standard. Lamiglas is a company with excellent standards.

Usually blems/seconds are sold as salvage, and do not carry the company's name. I am very surprised that these do.

If you are building these for yourself,and do not have concerns regarding their integity, by all means go ahead.

But if you are building for long time use, and would care that the manufacturer will stand behind you in case of failure or disatisfaction, I would suggest sticking with a first run product line.

IMHO

Mike - I've bought blems from Mudhole as well, and have been pleased. I was fortunate enought to be speaking to Tom as he selected blanks that were as straight as possible and only had "cosmetic" imperfections.

The mess at the bottom of the blank you speak of - is it like a cellophane tape-ish knob with teh blank model on a white sticke under or near it? I trimmed this section off of my blanks. You may also find the tip needs to be cut back in order to meet factory specs - I had to do this on all 6 of my blanks.

I know you are building these rods for yourself, but I do not suggest building a blem for someone else. Like Al, I used the blems to fill a bunch of holes in my arsenal at a cheap price. I also learned a lot about the CGBT blanks as I orderd one of each.

Billy

Thanks for all the replies. I checked the rod over thoroughly and aside from what I've mentioned there are no other bumps, lumps, dings, or nicks. I feel better now that the slight curve will not affect the rods performance.

Billy,

The damage to the bottom of the rod is very minor and would only involve me trimming about 1/2" off the bottom if need be. There is a green and purple tape covering the damaged area. I ran my pinkie around the inside of the blank where the damage is and couldn't detect any problems.

Mike W.