Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
animal60

Plugging blank?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Have a friend who offered to build me a new rod and am looking for a blank to make a 8-9' plugging rod. I fish mostly in NJ and 85% from jetties and inlets. I like a rod with backbone and a fast action tip. I lift alot of fish and because of that I've broken 2 rods in the past year. redface.gif I'm fishing a 9'Tica spinner right now and would like something with a little more power without resorting to a telephone pole. My friend has repaired rods for me inthe past that needed new eyes and tips, and really does a nice job, so I'm really looking forward to getting a new rod. Price wise I'ld like to stay aroud $100 on the blank. I have the titanium eyes already and will probably use a fuji reel seat and cork wrap.

Any suggestions?

You might want to check out a Rainshadow SW 1089. They still should be under $100.

But, if you're gonna lift fish onto the rocks, I'd suggest that you consider fiberglass, too---Lamiglas SB 121 3M cut down a foot from the butt.

I am about to build a Rainshadow SU1088 for exactly the purposes you describe minus actually lifting the fish with the rod. I just built the Rainshadow SU1087, great blank but a little too light for what you described. You should be able to get a nice Rainshadow blank for at or under $100.

Allstar 1088 would be perfect for everything but the lifting. You are not supposed to lift fish with the rod.

how can a rod be able to toss 1 to 4 OZ and be able to lift 8 pound fish , etc? It just shouldn't be done.

I have aquired an 8' long handle net and a 7' gaff so I'm hoping to avoid that problem in the future redface.gif Thank you all for your input, it is greatly appreciated. I checked out the rainshadow blanks on line and now I'll have to see if I can find them locally to actually handle them. The SU1088 seems to fit the bill....