Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cheen

BIG jiggin stick

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Al,I'm having trouble locating a rod or blank for big jigs 6-16 oz. mainly for canyon tuna work.The last couple trips I've been using my 6' stand up w a roller tip and thats not cuttin it.I'm looking for something longer 7-6 to 8-6 made to vertically jig big iron......any info appreciated p.s.( blank or factory built)

Cheen,

That was a nice fish you caught at The Ditch.

There are a number of "big sticks" for jigging iron that we use for offshore cod in 400-500 feet. However, they would cripple you using them for tuna.

What I would recommend is a 6.5-7 foot heavy compsite blank that can put a hurt on the fish and allow you the leverage to move the fish.

Here are some blanks to consider:

Lami C538 trimmed from the tip.

Seeker CJBF65H

Calstar GF765M or GF700XH.

Al

As far as a reel, my recommendation would be either one of the new Penn 15 KG's or a 30SW 2-speed. Both should be loaded with 50 lb Power Pro and a 100 yard mono top shot.

Al

Gentlemen,The reel will be a shimano TLD 30 2speed.I bought a tld 20 and 25 from Sergio a couple years ago and the did very well on yellowfin to 80# son I will stick w da TLD and the 30 looks really sweet.

Al I cant locate the c 538,only the c 528 and the 528 is on sale for 44$.Whatdya think????

I'm also looking at a swr 84 50c w/a trolling butt is anyone familiar w/ this rod any help appreciated.....Cheen

Al,I have some concerns w/ using braid for tuna on heavy tackle.The last trip I took a couple of guys were pulling hooks on bigger fish and they were the guys using braid,I know one of them was an experienced tuna fisherman what I dont know was the lenght of his top shot,that may be the difference.I guess you can always lengthen your top shot for more stretch if you have to..What are your thoughts........Thanx Cheen

Cheen,

It's the C528 rated from 30-50. Trim it from the tip to the action you want and then trim from the butt.

Braid with a mono top shot is what most of the regulars use on the long-range SoCal trips to Baja. If you are targeting tuna 75-150 lbs then 20-22 lbs of drag at the reel in plenty and will reduce the chances of your hook pulling. That is always a problem when using jigs since a long fight will open up the hook hole and any slack will result in the jig dropping out.

The Shamano 30-II should be fine. You really need the 2-speed capability.

Al

Tim, I am going on the gambler in Oct.date is unknown still 14 man trip,big boat not to bad as far as space.Went last year and while 13 guys were jambed in the stern tangled and jockeyin' for positions I was on the bow ALONEsmile.gif jiggin them up w/ the capt yelling to me how deep his marks were.It worked out nice got 3 to 80# and the pool fish before anyone even noticed I was there...Let me know if ya wanna go...........Cheen

Cheen,

Another good stick is the Seeker CJB80H with about 6-8 inches trimmed from the tip.

Al

P.S. Nothing like jigging tuna when they are in the mood to take jigs.

For what its worth , my next door neighbor fishes commercially out of point Judith for Stripers , Fluke and Yellowfin Tuna. The fish braid with mono leaders except when they tuna fish. For tuna they use mono with a braid leader!! Might sound weird but thats what they do and they've been in the game commercially for about 15 years.

Cheen...October is gonna be tough fer me. From the 11th-18th I'll be on an Cape/MV expedition. The 20th-21st is the Fall Fling on Lawn Guyland. The 26th my youngest brother is to be married.

The leaves...ummm...well as long as it's none of those dates, I can go wink.gif

TimS

"swr 84 50c w/a trolling butt"

Trolling butt is kind of slippery when wet. I have that rod. Replaced by Loomis when I snapped the same thing without trolling butt. Great rod for jigging and fighting fish as long as you keep the rod tip pointed at the fish. If you use the rail or high stick, forget about it.