Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Matching rods to VERY fast conventionals

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

IMHO mono on a conventional reel is still easier to thumb into obedience then braid. If you have a very slick reel that wants to overrun, and then sneer at you, the best way to address it is 1) use a light mono and 2) fish it on a moderate to slow rod. What's your take? *** the reel in question is a Newell 220 that East Coast Newell Man tuned. The spool will rotate if you look at it. It turns if Greenspan announces a change in interest rates. I fished it awhile on an 8' bucktail stick that Al G. built, but that blank (don't know which one) wants a minimum of 1.5 oz to load. If I need a two ounce plug, I want a longer rod for line control. I switched to some leftover 65 lb Whiplash and an Arra 132-2, for a change of pace. Casting distances are impressive, and the reel's almost controllable enough on that rod, with plugs appropriate to the rod in the first place. A reel that is nice in daylight when I'm looking at it, but bites me at night, still isn't trustworthy. I still have fewer problems with wet mono then with braid, so the next change will probably be to a light mono - IGFA 16 or standard 10-12, something like that. Your comments? Is there another braid I should try that thumbs better then Whiplash or Spiderwire Stealth?

Try 80# stealth. It's limp and not so likely to blow up. But when it does it's instantaneous. It's thicker so the reel will deplete faster and provide some natural braking. Or go back to 25-30# mono. I like silver thread becuase it holds up well but Big game seems a little limper.

BrianBM, I have the same problem with lighter braides...Try 80lb test Power Pro, if your jigging and stick with 20 -25lb test mono on conventional if your plugging.Now spinning is a different animal....I like 30lb Power Pro.

Both answers - thank you, gentlemen - touch on the effect of spool shrinkage as a brake. I've wondered about that, but thought that thinner line was better precisely because it minimizes the spool's tendency to accelerate, as the diameter of the loaded spool shrinks at the end of the cast. I've never tried anything like 80 lb stealth on a casting reel. Don't jig with this reel, may go back to 20 lb Pline CXXX.

If you go with 80# Stealth on a Newell 220, you'll pop the arbor knot on a good cast. I'll bet you won't get more than 110 yards of it on the reel. That stuff has to be as thick as 40# mono. 300 yards of it overfills a Jigmaster 500.

80# Power Pro is at least half the diameter of Stealth and a much better choice for a 220. I would say it's probably close to 20# mono equivalency.

Ron---how is Power Pro on the thumb when you level the line? I've only tried it on level wind reels. I need a new line for my Penn 525 mag. I'm just about down to the bottom of my Whiplash stash.

You might want to try some Cortland Spectron also.

Its not as small diameter as Power Pro. I believe 50 is equivalent to 15-17# mono.

You might want to pad the thumb a bit also as the spectron is not as smooth as other braids!

Another plus with spectron is it has a core so that slight kinks won't weaken the braid.

That's an interesting point. A rougher surface might be better, in terms of line control. I rarely cast for more then two hours at a stretch, so might not have a problem with thumb abrasion. The objective is really solid, reliable control at night with plugs and eels, rather then maximum distance, cast after cast. Distance is a nice thing to have, but the inlets I fish don't require it on a constant basis. On Long Island, I suppose the only area where distance is a consistent priority is Montauk Point, where long casts do seem to produce better on the beaches north of the light.

Brian,

My concern is with your thumb as you guide the line across the spool during the retrieve. Spectron might turn your thumb into hamburg?

Its pretty rough stuff? Now if you were using a levelwind it wouldnt be a factor.

So before you go out and spend $40 on a spool of spectron you might want to look at it and determine for yourself!

Brian

For some people trying to toss 1 to 1.5 oz on an 8 foot stick with a full spool 220 might be hard due to the weight of the spool with a full spool of line on it. For the 8 foot stick I would drop down to someting like a 6500 or a daiwa 7HT mag. Although I dont use my Newells with braids I do however use alot of braid on other reels in the same class. I really like the PP 50# it has a nice small dia. and is more limp than the 65#. As for the thumbing for control, Just something to think about, maybe you have already tried this, but thumbing the spool flange is the way to go rather than trying to thumb the line itself. Unless you have the 220 with a graphite spool. you may end up with a burnt thumb either way.

Yup-an authentic skin-cooker with a graphite spool.

I thumb the line, but with plugs and soft shads as the standard payloads, spool velocity shouldn't be too deadly. I'll gamble the price of a spool of PowerPro or Spectron. If it doesn't work, the line can go on the Calcutta 400. It's getting close to the tackle-tweezing season anyway, couldn't find a stick of bait at Fire Island Inlet on Friday morning and was too busy to get back for the rest of the holiday weekend. .... the reel's safe enough, even at night with wind, so long as spooled with mono. Cute reel, it teases me like it was female, or sumthin'. smile.gif

Brian,

My concern is with your thumb as you guide the line across the spool during the retrieve. Spectron might turn your thumb into hamburg?

Its pretty rough stuff? Now if you were using a levelwind it wouldnt be a factor.

So before you go out and spend $40 on a spool of spectron you might want to look at it and determine for yourself!

I agree--it takes less than 10 casts for Spectron to cut an open red groove into your leveling thumb.

Casting it is child's play.

just a thought maybe Newell mfg. would be willing to sell some of those special edition alum series spools. Provided they would fit the Graphite series reels?? I have no Idea if they will but it might be worth a shot for those who are intrested.

[ 12-01-2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Big Dave ]

If you are going to go with cortland Spectron , the 35 lb is plenty for the beach or anywhere except in big current like the Canal where you need 50 LB.. You got to have a levelwind though or tape up you line leveling thumb. It doesn't bather you at all when thumbing on the cast or adding drag with your thumb but its tough on the line leveling thumb.

Spectron is not like some of the less "braided" braids. its tough as hell and really breaks at the strengths indicated and has some reasonable shock resistance. You still need a few feet of leader though.