Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

?MadeiraThreadForGuideWraps?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Can I use this thread for guidewraps?

What are the pros and cons?

I am really impressed with this thread, I should've started using it earlier!!!!

There may be many varieties of madeira thread so I don't know which you have. i use a metallic coated one for decorative wraps and trim bands etc and I would not use it for a guide wrap cause I don't think its strong enough. . IMO the best for guide wraps is A size gudebrod Nylon. Just my preference.

I think the madeira metallic is great for decorative purposes. very vivid colors. very thin and the metallic coating doesn't come off or have bare spots like you see all too often in the Gudebrod HT Metallic.

I apologize for not answerring, I've been busy at work for a change.

It is definately strong enough, but there are things which I really don't like about it when used for guide wraps. First, you almost NEED to use CP. THEre are Silicones in ALL MAdeira threads, if not coated with CP, some spools will not allow the epoxy to stick to it. It's beyond a fisheye, it's more like a big dry spot, with a big lump of epoxy. I've gone to wiped each wrap with denatured, with not that great results, although after a coat of epoxy & a wipe of denatured, it works better.Honestly, too much effot & not scientific.

If you planned to use CP it's fine.

The other thing I don't like, is when wrapped under tensin, the thread stretches & gets thinner. It's VERY hard to pack tight, especially where it climbs up teh guide foot. Prctice will make perfect though, you just gotta figure it out on your own. Do some test wraps on spare blank, and you'll be able to figure it out.

THEre are Silicones in ALL MAdeira threads, if not coated with CP, some spools will not allow the epoxy to stick to it. It's beyond a fisheye, it's more like a big dry spot, with a big lump of epoxy.

Well that explains the problem I just ran into. Did some guide wraps with Maderia black, no CP, and ended with what Billy described....beyond fisheye. Thought is was my epoxy. Gonna have to do them over.

Yeah,I beleive you can use it for guides wraps(polyneon 40).I'm using it on my rods. You have to use CP though, for some builders CP is similar to the worst sin( WAS for me at least)

Break some Gudebrod A in your hands, then break some Madiera 40 in your hands...Madeira breaks slightly easier than Gudebrod. But its also slightly thinner than Gudebrod, therefore you'd get a few more turns of thread around a guide, possibally equalling or exceeding the holding forces of Gudebrod A. (ain't no scientist...just makes sense to me)....

Billy stated that the Madiera will stretch more than Gudebrod, that might be a good quality to have in a guide wrap combined with the more flexible finishes like Aftcote. Just gotta find a "happy" thread tension....snug, not too tight.

upck.gif 25 days in May...17 days of rain. (Seatle, MA !!!)

[ 05-26-2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Rapt Tite ]

I found that you can get around the madeira epoxy problems by waiting till it gets very thick on the guides after curing some time then dragging it over the fisheye spots. When its very thick , like sticky almost it will stay put and not dewet like it does when its thin and liquidy.

This leave s a fairly rough spot of finish so you definitely will need another coat opr two but I think its better than using CP.

StriperSniper 63...."blown up" sounds good ? biggrin.gif ...or bad? mad.gif (call if you need more d'cals)

Saltheart...great tip on the finish and Madeira.

(Things would be alot easier for me if 1) Gudebrod had 351 colors. 2) Gudebrod kept their old metallics and dumped the HT junk. 3)it would just stop raining!!)

upck.gif 6" of wet grass that needs mowing!

Ok:

I may have made a rod building error in some eyes, but I went with madeira thread on the under and guide wraps.

I did CP on both of the wraps. I will fish the crap out of it over the next couple of months and then I'll have a report. So far though it looks and feels good.

I did CP on both of the wraps.

You won't have any problems that you wouldn't have had you used Gudebrod.

Some people have issues with CP on guide wraps, where the finish cracks, hazes, etc. This is regardless of thread type used. I personally will not use CP on guide wraps again because the couple of times I did, after fishing the finish didn't look as good as non-CP'd wraps. OThers have not had problems, I hope this is the case for you.

Ok:

I may have made a rod building error in some eyes, but I went with madeira thread on the under and guide wraps.

I did CP on both of the wraps. I will fish the crap out of it over the next couple of months and then I'll have a report. So far though it looks and feels good.

For the "pink one", I used Madiera for the underwraps as well as the overwraps. Only two coats of CP over the whole wrap and it came out okay. I didn't coat the underwrap first and had no problems with the thread digging into the underwrap when I did the overwrap.

Salt and Billy the Custom Poly Build Dick French has may be the answer to your fish eye problem. It has about the quickest setup time I've seen in a good quality rod finish. I'd say you can get about 4-7 guides done before it gets too thick to work with. At least thats what I've found but I dont use it too much, I'll do about 5 guides and then mix another batch when it starts to get thick. I think you guys would really like this stuff.

Bruce

Bruce - I've used it, it seemed a lot like Flex Coat, although I know that's not what it was. Glass Coat sets up awfully quick as well. For me, it's easier to just use Gudebrod Nylon for guides, however, I ust wrapped a few guides and size A looked like as thick as an anchor rope compared to Madeira.