Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

anyone use "moosekin" grips??

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I'mputting together a parts list fer the winter project rod, and am considering using mooseskin or quickgrip as an alternative to cork tape... anyone ever use these products?? do ya have to spin them an a lathe to get a good texture out of them (ie- sand/structure the stuff)? I never learned how to apply cork tape, so I'm kinda wimping out by thinking of this stuff... should I just use the original? redface.gif thanks for any advice- Bob

Mooseskin is just EVA(?) grips. Nice stuff, soft yet firm and they make the small 2" grips for the ends of reel seats and cork tape.

Stick with std cork tape, you can not go wrong.

Quick grip is great and wears like iron. It is basically a heat shrink tubing but a little thicker. It's put on with a heat gun or propane torch. I had 2 of my rods with cork tape covered with quick grip and it has been almost 4 years now and they show minimal wear.

To get some texture under the quick grip, you can wrap some heavy mono in a pattern then put the quick grip over it. When you shrink the quick grip, the pattern stands out. The quick grip may look very smooth and slippery but you get a good grip on the rod and even better when your hands are wet.

I say NO to moose skin...It has memory...Dig ya thumbnail in it and make a dent,,,that dent is staying there..hypalon too soft and mushy...I haven't built in a while (since Clemmens went under) crying.gif But there custom grip was pissa stuff..Its firm like moose skin but no memory ...You can buy it 2" square and turn it on the lathe...Somebody here had a bunch of it ???