Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Adding glitter to epoxy

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I just completed my underwraps in black A thread on my first blank. I purchased some silver "glitter" to add to give my wraps a siver glitter look as I put siver bands on the ends of my underwraps.

I am using Al's recommendation regarding putting on finishes - two coast of color preservative on the underwraps followed by one coat of epoxy.

My question is When do I add the glitter? With the epoxxy on the final coat over the two coats of color preservatives OR on final coats of epoxy after I put on the guides? I want to have the glitter on the entire wraps to include under the guides too.

Thanks

Sandcrab

Anyone know where I can get black colorant to add to expoxy?

Black pigment used to tint boat gel coats for touch up. Most boating stores sell it. Did a whole rod once with epoxy tinted with the stuff. Little bit goes a long way. You won't see any glitter thru this stuff.

Steve

add the glitter to the first coat you apply after the overwraps are finished.

A couple of thin coats over this and all will be smooth as glass.

One word of caution...

Add the glitter very sparingly.

I used to dip the tip of a toothpic into the jar and stir the epoxy with that.

Crab,

Unless you have ultrafine type of glitter, I'll take a couple of coats over it to lose the bumps. Your problem will be even distribution of the glitter. The glitter doesn't flow like epoxy and tends to bunch up in areas. My advise is to use metallic thread and leave the glitter for the kids arts & crafts.

You should ask this question in the lure building forum. Those guys use glitter all the time and know the ins and outs.