Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHoll

Cork Tape Repair?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone can help me with a cork tape problem. The tape I have is becoming loose at the Butt end and is starting to peel up.

Is there any way to "splice" a new section of cork tape in or a good adhesive that will stand up to the salt water intrusion? Or is the best thing to do is rewrap the entire handle? Thanks for the help!

HI,

If the tape is a mess I would remove and start over.

If it is repairable in the sense it can be glued in place, I would try that. After the glue has dried for a day or two, I would sand the area smooth. Before I installed a new layer of cork tape I would coat the entire area with CONTACT CEMENT, follow directions on the label. Then install new layer of cork tape. Finish off with well fitting butt cap.

I did a "temporary" fix to get me through to the end of the season: I took a 6" piece of shrink tubing and put it over the affected area on the butt of the rod. After I shrunk it the butt cap was still barely able to slip over the rod end. I hope this helps anyone else if they have a similar problem . . . It doesn't look too bad either! smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your advice.