Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
libassboy

a couple questions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

On one of my sticks the front grip is getting shot. what do you guys use to take epoxy/glue/corktape off a rod. I was thinking im gonna replace the real seat and the rear grip also.

Also where do you guys buy ure blanks,rod building supplies online?

thanks much HappyWave.gif

LI,

1) go to Terminal Tackle in Kings Park.. he has everything youll need and pretty doggone good prices too..

as for how to do it, I would use a utility knife. just be carefull not to cut the blank. use a hack saw or dremel on the metal on the reel seat to cut it, then peel it off carefully, that metal when cut is extremely sharp. then for the graphite part of the reel seat, use the utility knife to slice the graphite from bottom to top, dont go too deep so you dont cut the blank. after it is sliced, use a screw driver as a wedge and youll see it come apart. at the top of the cork tape, it is probably epoxied. TO remove the epoxy, use a flame (lighter, torch, etc). heat it up for a few seconds, it;ll become soft then use a razor blade to slice it and peel it back.

then bring the rod with you to the tackle store and buy a reel seat that'll fit over the butt end of the blank. its usually a size bigger than whats on there (at first, the come over the tip). if it was an 18, buy a 20, or 20 buy a 22 etc. If its really tight and not going on, you can sand the end of the blank to get it. just use your judgement, dont sand off too much...

Hope that helps!!!

BC

A heat gun or even a hair dryer also works well to get old Flex Coat, epoxy, or glue soft enough to cut off. Just be careful not to put too much heat on a given area, or you'll melt the blank material.

thanks for the replies guys, I think im gonan re-wrap the enitire stick while im at it. What guide sizes would u guys use on a 10' lami triflex CSB 120 2M? Im not to happy with the guides as it is so ill fix it. Also anyone know spacing/ what type of guides would u recomend? I was thinking 50, 40, 30, 25, 20 and a 20 tip. let me know and thanks again everyone!

HappyWave.gifHappyWave.gif

Li,

Those are big guides for that rod... Ive only only a CSB 120 1L in my hand, never fished it, but it is a little whippy for guides that big IMO... If you want to go with a 50 striper (40 hi frame or even regular would work nicely), I would go 50,40,30,20,16, 12 tip or for the 40 striper, I would go 40,30,25,20,16,12 tip. you can substitute 16 tips for the 12 if you like.. If you use the 40, build it a little further away from the reel seat than you would with the 50 so as to decrease the angle from the top of the reel spool to the 1st guide.

Good luck.

Bc