Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

What makes the ideal rod?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I seem to be Q happy tonight. What is the ideal action/power for a specific fishing situation. For example - what characteristics of the CGBT841M make it the "ideal" Blackfish rod.

Bucktailing Fluke less than 1oz., shallow water, inlets. Should I be looking for a XF action with a lot of power in the butt?

After reading a post made by Bob Batson on another board, I started looking through the cataloges a little differently. Bascally, the rod manufacturer lists a blank in a specific category, but I shouldn't limit myself, I may find the blank I want listed somewhere else. Then I realizzed I first have to know what qualities make up the rod i want to build. Had I more experiance, I wouldn't need to ask you this question.

Specifically, I am looking to build that Fluke rod using a Largemouth Bass rod - a St. Croix 3C68MXF or 3C62MXF. I know you may not be familiar with these blanks, but that's OK, just want to know what characteristics make up the "ideal" rod for that situation.

Thanks (once again) Billy

Billy,

For bucktailing fluke using bucktails from 1-2 ounces I like the Worm and Mag Bass series of blanks by Lami and Loomis as well as the lighter composite by Lami CGBT841L. I prefer composite over graphite for my people since it is more forgiving when using spectra line.

The characteristic you are looking for is sensitivity in the tip for bite detection, but firm enough to always be in control of the bucktail. You do not want a weepy tip, since it will not move the bucktail properly or give you the setting power to plant the hook.

I also prefer a blank no more than 6.5 foot long. But that's my own thing.

If I am bucktail in deeper water out east off Montauk or Gardiners Island I use 3-4 ounce bucktails. These will require a little heavier rod like the CGBT781L by lami or the Calstar GX7.

Al

Billy,

I have to agree with Al. I prefer a fast action blank rather than an extra fast blank for jigging. I also agree with Al that Mag Bass, Casting, or Worm blanks tend to make better jigging rods. I really like St. Croix's SCIII blanks (used in their Avid line of finished rods) but would go with a fast action blank for jigging/bucktailing. For shallow water bucktailing under 1 oz., you might look at the St. Croix 3C66MHF. In Loomis, I like the MB783 or MB784, and in Lami, I like the XC78M or XC78MH for jigging/bucktail applications.

Good luck, Mark

Billy,

The Loomis MB784 is a real sweetie. However, the Lami GLB841L trimmed a litle from both the butt and tip makes an awesome bucktailing rod.

Al

Thanks. I (my Dad)has the XC84MH and it is a sweet blank. I'll take a look at the Loomis Mag factory rods (hopefully Capitol still has them)

I agree that a 7' bucktail rod for Fluke is a bit too long. At least now I have a clue what I am supposed to be looking for.

Billy