Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ragged edge

Making Reamers

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I tried a search but came up empty, so I'll ask. I took some wooden dowels in various diameters and slightly tapered them. I got plenty of 30 min epoxy lying around that I use for tying jiggies. All I need is some type of cutting grit to epoxy to the dowels.

Is there any type of commonly available material that will work as cutting grit, or do I have to order from a rod building supply house? Thanks.

RE,

I think both Clemena Tackle and Anglers Workshop sell the cutting grit. I don't know of any other sources. However, just glue on strips of course sandpaper. They will work fine.

Al

3M makes an adhesive-backed safety strip for use on stairs that is 1" wide and has a heavy grit like coarse sandpaper. Saw it recommended somewhere for making reamers. I just bought some at Village Hardware - it's sold off a large roll, $0.59 per foot. Haven't used it yet, but looks like it will do the job.

[This message has been edited by PeterO (edited 03-10-2002).]

check a good woodworking store or a catalogue for adhesive backed sandpaper. it is sold on rolls ,various grits .you could also glue on any cloth backed belt sander belts ; just cut at the seam & use a spray contact cement.

haven't bought any of the adhesive backed sandpaper for years & can't remember where i used to buy it ...........

derf

re,

Rather than use dowels, you might try some scrap rod blank. You don't have to pay $100+ for a quality Lami blank, just use a piece of broken blank. I have about 12 reamers made with various blank pieces I have found or maderolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the replies guys. Jamiek, if I had some scrap rod blanks I would use them. I'm going to keep an eye out for broken rods that I can strip down and use to make reamers. In the summer, its common to find a bunch of cheap, broken rods in the cracks of a jetty after the weekendbiggrin.gif Gotta love googanswink.gif