Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike_Z

Nautil questions

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I have some questions for those who fished with the reel for some time now.

1. There was a thread I can't find now where Tim described which screws should be tightened out of the box to avoid striping the gears

2. Any replacement parts that should be purchased while still available? Does the line roller groove?

3. What's the cheapest way to get rid of the banana? Hacksaw, pay for normal Nautil handle or maybe some cheap replacement handle from other reel will fit?

4. Any other pointers?

Mike the knob on the handle can just be screwed off. Hold the shaft with a pair of pliers, then twist off the banana. Then all ya got to do is add the knob of your choice. I think Tim carries a bunch of replacement parts(handles) etc, Check out the online store. http://www.stripersonline.net/cart/s...D=PUT_SID_HERE

Ant

Ant, I know Tim carries the original replacement handles but if you can get a new reel for the price of 3 new handle knobs these days I kinda hoped for a cheaper solution. For $25 I can live with the handle or the worst case scenario just cut it. HappyWave.gif

Buy a wooden cabinet knob at Homies or Lowes and drill it out to the size of the knerled nut that is inside of the plastic handle. Seal the knob with a linseed oil mineral spirits mix (60/40) over nite. Remove and let dry for 3 or 4 days. Now knob can be painted or finished anyway you like. I then cut a small piece of tape to cover the top edge of the shaft that goes into the knob so it stays free when the knob is epoxied onto the knurled nut. There ya have it for about 2 bux. I can't find the picture but if yo do a seacrh it should be here.

Mike,

1)I checked for the loose screws when I first received the reel, none were loose for me.

2) Other than the drag washers, line roller and handles Tim sells here I don't know of other part(s) availability.

3)Maybe you may want to try living with the banana? It's actually an excellent handle IMO.

4) I have the yellow 7500 Pro and it has held up well. I have received a minimum of good natured ribbing about the yellow color and over time it's nothing (although I've thought that a black sharpie could make the yellow go away wink.gif ) This reel to me last untils it breaks, if you are still in the warranty send in for a replacement (assuming the warranty is still being honored by pure fishing), if not toss it. Mine is still ticking away fine and I've used it quite a bit over three years. I toasted a black 6500 Pro GV so you may want to stay with the yellow slower gear ratio model.

[ 10-26-2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Stoker1 ]

I recently bought the yellow bling 7500 and all have said thought about the black pen to change the appearence. But I have come accustumed to the silly looking color. I took the nautil to the Cape with a 704 back up and never traded to the 704 it ran smooth. I do hate the bannana and will customize it this winter. Have any of you taken the bail trip arm off or customize it with a saw? I hate the thing and would rather just manually close the bail.

Winch I close the bail manually on all my reels. The way I do it is when I open the bail and grab the line with the finger and continue with the same motion until the open bail hits the foot. The anti reverse will keep it there without any play and it will stay there without snapping until you flip it back with your hand. Dunno if I make any sense? redface.gif

In any case I didn't snap the plug in couple of years and the bail trip doesn't bother me.

Winch I close the bail manually on all my reels. The way I do it is when I open the bail and grab the line with the finger and continue with the same motion until the open bail hits the foot. The anti reverse will keep it there without any play and it will stay there without snapping until you flip it back with your hand. Dunno if I make any sense? redface.gif

In any case I didn't snap the plug in couple of years and the bail trip doesn't bother me.

You make sense Mike but for some reason I seem to stop the dang bail right on the foot way to mant times. Of all the things of the reel it is the only thing I haven't quite got used too. I find myself looking down at the reel to much to "check it" before I cast and before I hit the bail. Just not used to something that big getting in the way. The 704 after 33 years was automatic No time lost between cast or bail flip. But that's it, I like the reel alot with braid and can not complain about the work'ins of the reel.

same here winch, I bought both the black and the yellow models (price was right) and totally abused the black one 4.9:1 at the ditch, jigging.. really like how it handles braid and how smooth they are.. but that dang bail trip arm thingy is in the wrong spot.. needs to be a few more degrees left so the bail can be opened when it's a bit beyond vertical.. more times then not I'm up against it trapping the bail from opening fully. and gotta do the ol' once around before I can open for a cast... snapped of a few 3oz jigs off til I saw what was happening... just gotta get use to it ... or hack that thing I guess..

like the reel though.. it's an animal..

I cut that peice off after donating 2 bombers.I saw what was happining and decided that a slight mod was in order.After a self evalution,I figured that it was easier cuttin than tryin to teach an old dog......I have not had a problem since. icon14.gif

I used to poke my belly with that banana (insert pilsbury do-boy giggle here) but now I am more used to it and its not an issue.

I annoy my buds with the line roller chatter but I hope to elimanate it with a new replacement soon fresh from the online store here.Maybe it wasnt greased from the factory? I am going to try slick 50 first and a grease after.....I sure hope that it helps because it is my biggest peve with the reel

BTW,I couldnt give a**** what the color was.It is a great reel