Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jklett

Damaged Blank?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have a problem. While going through some stuff, I somehow got the tip section of my 9wt fly rod in a door jam. It crushed two of the snake guides but doesn't appear damaged in any other way. How would I go about checking the blank for damage that I can't see? Rewrapping the rod is not the issue, since I was the one who wrapped it in the first place, I just need to know whether it's worth rewrapping or not. I really like the feel of this rod and would hate to junk it if I don't have to. Plus I can't afford to buy another right now and the fly fling is coming up. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Don't know if this is the best way, but this is something that I would try. Since the guides are trashed - strip them off and remove the thread winding on there. Inspect the blank as best as you can to see if there is any visible damage. Get some replacement guides and tape them in place. Go out and test cast the rod and see if the blank collapses/breaks/etc. I'd probably next tie some old line around a fence post, exterior door knob or some other immovable object and pretend like I was playing a good fish. If the rod breaks - then you'll know. If it does not break - then I would re-wrap it and use it.

Pete

I stripped the two guides today after work and I couldn't see any damage to the blank so I went outside, tied some mono to the tip eye and ran that to a doorknob and pulled. I probably should have used more than 4# test because the line snapped and I almost popped myself with the rod! But the good news is the blank seems fine and it was in a pretty good bend before the line snapped. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to rewrap it and hopefully be good to go!