Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big country

Tips for Tartan Plaid butt wraps...

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Any of you guys out there do Tartan Plaid Butt wraps?

Im in the process of starting my first one on one of my rods..

Here what I plan on doing...relatively big pattern Double Chevron wraps with light and dark blues and light and dark greens using all Non-NCP thread. I plan on closing the wraps with non-NCP white.. then, 1 coat of epoxy to create the "bleed thru" effect. then accent the wraps with single threads on the edges with NCP white and also a single wrap of Black.. then finish with my normal 3-4 coats of epoxy...

does that sound like a good idea or can someone suggest a better way, ideas, suggestions???

anything I need to be aware of? Its my rod so if it comes out bad, it doesnt matter, Im willing try anything if you guys have good ideas.. maybe different colors, etc

thanks in advance...

BC

Like any other rod wrap, if it comes out bad....cut it off and do it again. I think there's a lot of tips on palid wraps in the thread art book. There's also been some articles in Rodmaker Mag if I remember right.

I would strongly recommend doing a test wrap over a piece of white, 1/2" pvc water pipe so that you can see what the final result will be on the rod. The 1st 2 test patterns I tried looked like crap. I was surprised to see how many color combinations resulted in a dark greyish, brownish kind of color. Also found that the result of two colors will vary significantly depending upon which of the two colors is on top. Example, red over blue looks different than blue over red.

Another consideration,for me anyway, was the color of the guide wraps. In order for them to match the tartan colors, it was necessary to paint the blank white under the guide wraps as well as under the tartan wrap.

Because no color preserver was used anywhere on the rod careful planning was in order. Once again I recommend a test wrap.

Butcher - use a Silver metallic underwrap - no need to paint the blank. BC is doing I assume larger rods, so he could use a metallic thread in teh tartan, and use that same thread as teh underwrap in teh guide wrap.

BC - are you looking to match something specific (a certain Tartan?)I've never done Tartan, but from what I've seen the only way you're gonna get help with one is if you help yourself.

Billy- Tartan over silver, very intriguing idea, especially since most regular nylon colors seem to take on a somewhat muddy appearance when used without color preserver.

BC- Billy speaks the truth when he says that with tartans there's little help available. you have to rely on yourself. Thus my recommendation for a test wrap. I've only done 3 tartans. They came out beautiful but for each one, I rejected or changed at least 2 test wraps. If you do the arithmatic you'll see that I got 3 good ones out of over 9 trials. I don't like those odds.

The trial wraps needn't be perfect with reguard to thread packing and center spacing. I just needed to answer questions like: What did the colors look like when blended together? Did it look better when one color was on top or under the other? The NCP accent bands - better to place them on top or between the 2 layers?

If you make a trial wrap and it comes out great the 1st time, I would consider my self both lucky and gifted.

Couple of more tips: With the 1st coat of epoxy you need to achieve saturation of all the thread layers otherwise it'll look blotchy. I thin this 1st coat, approx. 2 parts epoxy: 1 part acetone.

Also, I don't try to get filling or leveling of the surface with this 1st coat. In other words, with the 1st coat I apply an ample amount of epoxy/acetone to achieve saturation but stop short of building up the surface.

Oh yea, the speed wrapper mentioned in another thread is a very handy device.

best o' luck

Billy and Wood,

thanks for the good advice. Ive already done some testing color wise.. Ive done the wraps without "finishing the wraps with the non ncp white and I like the color combo. Royal Blue non-ncp over Dark non ncp, looks like what Im looking for. I think the white paint under the wrap is my best choice. I was gonna underwrap with NCP white, but if I have to move threads or pack I dont wanna deal with it. I think the Accent wraps will go outside the double chevrons with the NCP white and thru the middle with the black.. the white defines the "plaid" and the black looks like it splits the pattern to make 4 distinct patterns.. it looks like a nice effect. Another tip, I'll be using some braided thread so I wont have to worry about the 4-6 thread at a time as a time saver. I found solid colors that although they are not NCP or nylon, do bleed with epoxy which is good.

A great tip is the saturation piece that was mentioned by Wood. the effect will be minimized if all threads dont get wet.

youll know if I do well, Ill post a pic, if it comes out like crap, you can bet this thread will fade into oblivion.. LOL

tHanks for the help!

BC

BC- When you mentioned paint you jogged my memory,what's left of it anyway. When I was wrapping over the coat of paint and I reached the very edge, the last turn of thread wanted to roll off the edge of the paint and onto the bare blank.

Because I was using dark thread, this left a very thin,gleaming white band at the ends of the wraps. In order to prevent this I had to wrap narrow bands of thread on the bare blank so that they were up tight aganist the edge of the paint. These bands acted as "thread dams" if you will, and prevented the last turn of thread from spilling over the edge of the paint coat. To the best of my recollection, I would remove these thread dams after burnishing the thread wraps but prior to applying finish. I probably haven't made my explanation even marginally clear but if you end up with thin bands of white paint showing at the ends of your wraps you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. As for the rest, sounds like you're on the road to success.

Go do it.

'butcher.

"He who knows that he knows not - Listen, he is wise. He who knows not that he knows not - Shun him, he is a fool" - Brother Sebastiano, S.J. circa 1969 A.D.