Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jig Man

The Rod Prof

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I recently had the pleasure of finding out first hand why Al is called the rod prof. I was looking for a plugging rod and talked to Al about building one. As luck would have it, he had just completed one that was what I was looking for. This is one sweet rod!

Loomis blank, one piece, 8 foot, cork grips, Fuji trigger reelseat, Fuji guides and a cool butt wrap. Electric blue metallic, gold and black color.

Here is a shot of the reel seat with a 6501 C4 attached:

rod1.jpg

The cool wraps at the butt of the rod:

rod2.jpg

and a close up of the line guide wraps:

rod3.jpg

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I have dudded it the "plug launcher" cause it will slig a plug a mile. Casts as good as it looks. Very smooth. Finally got out this past weekend and gave it a good workout. A 10# striper busted a metal-lip swimmer (one of my own biggrin.gif ) to cristen the new rod. Our topwater season has just started, so I am sure they'll be many more over the next couple of months. Yep, Al knows rods!

Jigman

That was supposed to have been my new plugging rod for this season matched to a new mag Elite. Now I need to build another one for me.

Capt. Neil had a similar experience a few years ago and didn't have one for himself for a year since people were buying them faster then he could make them.

Glad to hear that that rod worked out well.

Al

I met the RodProf at the 1984 Rodcrafters National seminar and have been in awe ever since. His willingness to share his secrets has helped me get better and better these 18 years. Within the last couple of years I have even made a couple of rods that I thought were "almost as good as Al's." And then I look at his current work and he has raised the bar again!

Hugh Miller

I'm waiting for a new toy that I bought for a customer of mine. I can't wait to see it!!!! I know that it will be sweet!

Al,

I hope you do get a clone of this rod made for yourself. Definitely a sweet rod. Have been practice casting it all week. Hope to tame a few striped ones biggrin.gif with it tomorrow night.

Jigman

Al, do build yourself an 8' plug rod. I have this 8' rod that's so pretty it needs a chaperone .... come to think of it, you built it. And you can'thave it back. So there.

Mark,

The rod is for casting plugs and bucktails from 3/4-2.5 ounces with a sweet spot of 1-1.5 ounces.

The blank was an 8 foot Loomis that has been discontinued. However, other excellent blanks that would work well are the following: Lami GLB961M and Calstar GF800XL.

The general specs on the rod are as follows:

17 inch cork butt

6 inch flocked cork fore grip

#18 Fuji trigger seat.

Fuji guides, either NSG of BNLGH 20,16,12,10,10,8,8,8,8 plus an SIC tip.

Guide wraps are Gudebrod HT Metallic Electric Blue with metallic gold inlays and black overwraps.

Butt wrap is a double reversed chevron using a fade pattern in the chevron.

Al

Salt,

i believe it was a 965. I managed to get a few when they closed thm out. Sweet blank.

Billy,

I have the grips flocked for me in Florida. I have 6-8 inch foregrips with 1/2 inch ID's. I can sell you some if you want one.

Al