Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Softhackle

Braided Line Selecting Guide Style and Size

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

With the advent of new braided lines how does this effect Guide style and size selection? For example: Power Pro for the spinning rod rated at 50lb test has the diameter of about 14lb mono. 30 lb Power pro has the diameter of 8lb mono and had little memory. What kind of guide set would you recommend for a Sabre 1088 spinning rod? The spool diameter of the reel is slightly larger than a BNLG #50, it's a Fin-nor Ahab #12. I will be throwing mostly large plugs, jigs, eels in the 2-3oz range. I use both 30 and 50 lb test in various situations but would mostly fish the 50 lb. Thanks Bruce

I have built dozens of rods on these blanks. Great for lures from 1oz to 2-1/2oz. For the most part I start with the 40HH and then it the 30, 25, 20, 16, 12 and the SIC tip in a 10. Spacing depends on the blank.

------------------

Tight lines

Eric "Big Swed"

CustomSurfTackle@aol.com

Thanks for the reply Eric; sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I spent the better part of last night adjusting guide placement on my 1087 caster and its still not done to perfection. So far I have the guides at 5, 10.25, 16, 22.5, 30, 38, 46 and 56.5. The Stripper is 27.5 inches from the center of the reel seat. The bottom portion of the blank from the reel to bottom butt cap measures 24.5 that the only part of the rod I wont compromise on. I am building this rod with the spine on the same side as the guides, I think that is why I had to go to 8 guides plus tiptop. Its funny all the years I have been fishing I have never actually (looked) studied the line as it moves through the guides. One thing I will say is that braided lines moves in a very strait line. This saltwater stuff sure is tricky....I guess this winter will be full of trail and error and reading volumes of information. Ps: I made out just fine on the spinning rod, it cast like a dream.

Thanks Bruce

Bruce,

For the caster use the following guide sizes:

20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 and a tip top.

Your spacing appears to be okay overall. However, the first guide from the tip should be 4.5 inches. Space the remaining guides in 1/2-3/4 inch increasing increments.

Your stripper guide looks okay, but do a stress distribution test.

Al

Thanks for the advice Mr Goldberg. I respaced the guides as you suggested and used the 3/4 inch increase. The guide spacing looks good and the stress test worked out just fine. Now I have to wait until Saturday to go out and cast. The repositioning changed the distance between the butt guide and mid reel seat to 28 1/2 inches. Hopefully all I will have to do is decide what color's to use, this is the fun part. Thanks again, Bruce.

Bruce,

On a graphite blank, the new Gudebrod HT 'A" metallic in electric blue or turquoise with gold metallic trim and black over looks dynamite.

Glad the spacing worked out.

Al G.

The electric blue fades quickly for me, even with 3 heavy coats of color pres., can't seem to keep the light metallic colors from fading. Electric blue and the light metallic purple are the worst. They do look great with gold and black though.

I am using the Gudebrod HT metallic Electric Blue Size A. I apply two thin coats of Clemens Brilliance 2 or Gudebrod 811 clear color sealer and wait 48 hours before applying the finish. Then I apply three thin coats of Flexcoat high-build finish.

To prevent the colors fading from UV sunlight I wait a week after the rod is finished then apply two coats of Simonize 2000 car finish. This has UV inhibitors and prevents fading. During the course of the season I periodically clean the rod thoroughly and apply another two coats of the Simonize car finish.

Al

Mr Goldberg, Are you thinning the Brilliance 50/50 with distilled water? What are you using to thin high build finish and at what amount? I have read in past articles you approve of Flexcoat as a high build finish. Is that what you are using? Ps: I went with Ht Electric Blue with gold trim on the ends and middle of the under wrap. This was my first attempt at trim bands. It took me all day sunday to get it right. Thanks again Bruce.

Bruce,

I am thinning the Brilliance 2 with denatured alcohol: 1 part alcohol with 4 parts Brilliance 2. This is the clear CP not the white stuff.

I don't not cut my Flexcoat with any solvents. I apply two very thin coats. I apply the finish then wick off any excess with my brush. I just want the threads to be tacky.

After the second coat has cured, I check all the wraps for nubs. I then cut them off with a new single edge razor blade. Then I apply a final coat of finish with a full brush. I then gently flame the wraps with an alcohol lamp to remove any remaining bubbles in the finish.

Al

BN,

12 hours between the 1st and 2nd coats, then 48 hours between the 2nd and 3rd coats. I want the second coat to cure hard so I can cut the nubs cleanly with a razor or gently sand them off with 1000 grit paper.

Then I clean the wraps with alcohol and a lint free rag (a paper coffee filter is best), gently tack them off and apply the final coat of finish.

Al

Hey Al, what is the denaturant formula of the alcohol you are using? they can be denatured with many many different solvents, i think the most common denaturants are methanol, and isopropanol?

Brian,

The denatured alcohol I use I buy in Home Depot. It is used as a fuel. I will check the container when I get home for it's chemical make up.

I use the denatured alcohol for final cleaning, however for general clean up of epoxy glues I use cheap isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle.

Al