Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishtrek

Cork Handles

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al, I am restoring an old Fenwick & I am using the old style cork that was drilled through the centers. Now a days, How does one glue the cork to the rod or just rely on the tghtness to hold it in place & just glue the cork pieces together. In advance thanks, Doug

Doug,

You use slow cure epoxy glue to install cork rings or other grip material. I like to use Kardol or U40 Rod Bond.

First ream the cork to get a snug fit. Then apply epoxy glue to the blank and slide on the rings making sure the glue is also on the sides of the rings.

Clamp the completed assembly with a cork ring clamp and clean off any excess glue with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.

Let the glue cure for at least 72 hours then shape and sand the grip as desired.

Al

Doug,

A cork clamp can be purchased for about $15 from any rodbuilding supply house like Clemens, Anglers Workshop or Cabelas. You can also easily make one yourself.

The clamp consist of two blocks of wood 4 X 6 and 1/2 inch thick. Each piece has a 1 inch center hole with 3/16 holes on either side of the center. The 3/16 inch hole accepts a 30 inch threaded rod with fitted washers and wing nuts on both ends.

The clamp is slid onto the blank on either side of the cork grip after gluing. The threaded rods are tightened to squeeze the cork rings tightly together and the whole assembly is left to dry overnight.

The next day you remove the clamp and sand down the grip. There is an invisible line between the cork rings.