Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassackward

spin/fly guides

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a Forcast 4 piece, 6# blank that I want to make into a spin/fly pack rod. I was wondering what kind of guides i would need, and what size mono it would likely handle.

Thanx in advance for your help.

BA

Do a search on the Fuji Concept System (check out Rodbuilding.org too). Works GREAT for spin/fly rods.

W/a 6# Forecast, I'd guess 6-10lb test & 1/4-1/2 oz lures, but you really need to experiment w/it to be sure. wink.gif

I have never built a fly rod into a spinner, although that's a great idea. AS for guides for this type of rod, it's a short list.

I would use Fuji Alconite's for this rod, they are a bit lighter than Hardaloys, and just as light as SIC.

For the stripper guide, BYLAG, or CYLAG - hi frame 1 footed Concept guide, size 16 or 20 (I guess).

For the rest, I would either use all of the Y framed guides, and set it up "normal" cone of flight, or I would use 2 or 3 Y frames and use all single foot fly guides (BLAG, or CLAG) for a Concept set up. The smallest size I would use is a 6.

Again, I don't build many if any spinning rods this light, so I'm not the guy to be giving you info. I've offered where I would start - now the rest is up to you. Order more guides than you need, both styles, and start test casting and tinkering with all possibilities until you are satisfied. Take nothing you read from anywhere as Gospel - use suggestions to your advantage, and test everything for yourself.

"Saw" two creative fly/spin set ups. Both were 9wt. One was actually a "six piece". He bought two 4pc. Two of the butt sections were set up for spin, two were set up for fly.Instead of wading a quarter mile back to the truck when the wind shifted,or the bass wouldn't take a fly, he'd just switch out butt sections....The other rod he built, he set up as a standard fly rod (single foot titanium sic )he made a longer fore grip then normal that had those tennesee handle rings on the "fore grip/reel seat" then on the blank,"offset" guides for a spinning rod set up. All he had to do was remove the fly reel, mount the spinning reel to the "fore grip" and realign the sections to the "spin side" and start throwing 1/2 oz plugs w/8# mono. While the traditionalists were wading back he'd continue to fish....'til the tide reached the top of his waders while on tip toes, then he'd go back to the truck.

Billy 40,

I know - advice, not scripture. Just so happens that, after looking around a bit, I was leaning towards the alconite concepts. Appreciate the suggestions on sizing too. Thank you.

Rapt Tite,

You've really got me curious now. Do you really think something like that would work with such a light blank as a 6, or would the extra weight make it a little awkward. I already have a tennessee handle to make the switch easy, but two sets of guides, hmmm.... would be an interesting experiment. One thing for sure, it would definitely get noticed on the water! smile.gif Thanx for the bug in my ear. biggrin.gif

In any case, I till have some prcticing to do on some old rods of mine first, so it'll be a minute before I put this all together. If you guys, or anybody else, wants to add another $.02, please do.

BA

The rods were 9wt with pretty stiff butt sections. A 6wt..never touched anything that light so I don't know if it would work. With the price of the forecast blanks, it may be worth while playing around with the "6 pc". The rod with the offset guides had some added wt to it but at least the added wt wasn't on the top sections. (5 pc ?) Have fun.