Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

Starting A Guide Foot Wrap.....

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Eek, I guess I should read this forum more often.... redface.gif

Did a search, but couldn't find a good answer....

So, have an semi-old rod that I want to re-wrap the guide feet on....

Did one, and it came out pretty good, for a novice, but.....

Had some trouble getting the thread started, and while I finally did, and it is acceptable, it is not quite as tight as I'd like it on the first couple of wraps. The rest of the wrap came out really well after that.

As I said, it's okay to good,, and am not going to un-do it, but would like to improve on this as I go along to the others....

So, what's the trick?

Thanks...... smile.gif

Just get a few turns on there then pull the end (befoer trimming it) tight to get in tight around the diameter then continue and finish the wrap. After , go back with the burnishing tool and pack the end threads in tight to each other.

Saltheart gave a good explaination, but you should tear the first one off and do it again. Don't get in the habit of "Good enough is good enough", and it'll also give you more practice.

I started to build a rod yesterday, probably around my 400th. I did a diamond wrap above the foregrip. I took it off the lathe, looked at it for about five minutes, then grabbed a razor and cut it off and did it over. It sucked, but sometimes they'll just fight ya'. The customer probably wouldn't even have noticed what was not quite right, unless I told him, but I did.

To me it sounds like you need to prep your guide feet better, grind the foot to make a very slight transition, file works well for me but you can use a dremel, A belt sander sounds like it would work the best and the fastest. No real need to take alot of metal off, but you could probably make the whole foot 1/3 as thick and you aren't going to hurt anything. Just don't get the metal too hot.

hey steve HappyWave.gif good to see you are spending these rainy days wisely clapping.gifclapping.gif

what size thread are you using...i use c or d threads for the guidewraps..i have done rods all in size a, but I do not notice enough of a difference to continue the practice..i am not very good and it takes me a wicked long time if using all a threads.

for me the key is to have my first couple of wraps as straight as possible...in other words you make your first wrap around the blank and then you continue crossing over the blank and building each wrap---keep those first wraps as straight as you can and then each successive wrap will align next to the other...i'm not sure if it makes sense, but at least i tried wink.gif

it won't be long man, the bass will be in our favorite haunts before ya know it!!!

I find A thread is just something you got to get used to. Sure D is easier but eventually if you build a few , you'll switch to A. Why not start out that way? Alot longer rapping means maybe an extra hour. That's not much when you consider how long the rod will last if done well. maybe 20 years?? Anyway , I know the feeling that D is easier but if you work at it , A will become just as easy with practice.

I agree with you completely---a wraps come out looking like they were painted on.

I just thought steve was looking for a quick fix on an old rod.