Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DAVEM

2 piece rod problem

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

First thing to try...

Place he rod behind your knees with the ferrule between your hands (you are holding the rod in both hands and horizontal, right?) and with a tight grip on the rod, spread your knees. Did it work? smile.gif

I usually enlist the assistance of a second person (often, my wife). We each grip one half of the rod, about four inches on either side of the ferrule. While leaning away from each other, she twists clockwise and pulls, while I twist counter-clockwise and pull increasingly harder (and make a wish wink.gif that the rod comes apart)...

Usually works. Just be careful that there's nothing directly behind whoever has the top half -- like a wall or other obsticle -- or you'll wind up with a three piece rod.

If you got the rod secondhand there's the chance it was epoxied together. Look carefully where the two parts come together to see if there's any dried glue.

Ice? If it's a tip over butt ferrule or a butt over tip ferrule, ice will tighten it. Gentle heat can help too, but only use a hot washcloth or a warm hair dryer. Temps over 150 are really bad for a rod!

What is the ferrule made of confused.gif Different conponents made from different materials have different properties(metal expands or contacts depending on the enviremental temperature) Fiberglass doesn't. Graphite is strong but has thin walls and is brittle. I would try some penatrating spray and leave the rod sit over night before I would try to take it apart again! Another thing you can try is to get two strap wrenchs like the ones Sears makes wink.gif

Another thing you can try is to get two strap wrenchs like the ones Sears makes wink.gif

No, no NOOOO!!!!!

Do NOT try this, unless you want a spiral fracture in your rod!!

Sorry to be so intense but, this is a really bad idea.

Strap wrench is good for tightening offshore reel seats, but not for loosening a ferrule. frown.gif

Don't ask me how it works; it does, that's all I know... and if you're both standing on the same side, it's not the same direction. wink.gif All I would add is, that it's not a pronounced twisting motion -- it's more the combined pull -- and the grip is made within 4 inches of the joint... the closer, the better.

she twists clockwise and pulls, while I twist counter-clockwise

How would that work???

You'd both be turning the rod in the same direction.

Very good observation... wink.gif I know what PA means and it works!

That is why I asked about the material the ferrule was made of. If you are gasping only the two METAL parts(male&Female of the cwm40.gif FERRULE) if you can get the proper grip without the strap touching the BLANK material then it should work. But you are right only if the ferrule is made of metal should you attempt this! 40.gif

Sorry forgot the most important thing you must apply heat while attempting this. Because most ferrules are applied with ceiling wax or ferrule cement and heat must be added for ajustments. Sorry canyondiver the heat I noticed that I didn't include in my orginal posting you are right! 40.gif

Sorry forgot the most important thing you must apply heat while attempting this. Because most ferrules are applied with ceiling wax or ferrule cement and heat must be added for ajustments. Sorry canyondiver the heat I noticed that I didn't include in my orginal posting you are right! 40.gif

biggrin.gif

Let's all go fishing and get some ferrules stuck together!!!