Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeH

basic question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al,I've been thinking that I will try conventional this spring.I have a squidder but no rod,yet.I may rebuild a suitable (I hope) rod for a few months practice casting before our season starts.All my books and info that I have dont tell or show how the reel fits on to the blank after wound with cork tape.I would like to not use reel seats if this is common practice? Sorry for maybe a dumb question but no one in my area is using such gear or offer custom building(except flyrods for salmon).Thanks for your help.Good work on this site!

Mike- A lot of conventional reels come with clamps that you would use to secure the reel to the blank. Most of these reels however aren't for surfcasting although my abu 7000c3 has clamps. Be sure not to tighten too much that you do damage to the blank though. I'm pretty sure the squiders came with clamps judging by some pictures I've seen but if it doesn't Fuji makes a reel seat you just tape on the blank. I'm sure that will suit you're needs. Hope I was of some help but you still might want consult a reel expert on it.

There has been alot of discussion on this board about not using a reelseat and taping the blank to the rod.

After more than thirty years of building I believe that you should use a reelseat. The Fuji graphite seats are so light that weight is not an issue. As far as proper placement of the seat, that what a custom rod is alll about. Each person has there own casting style and physical body measurements that will determine that optimum position of the seat. Finally, some people cannot get a comfortable grip of the seat. I have found that mounting the reelseat downlocking, with the threads facing the front of the rod, eliminates this problem.

The plate seat that Gooch recommended is a good option as well. However, proper position is critical.

Thanks,guys,that will be a help to me as I start planning this project (Isnt that what winters are for?) How about Painting an older rod that gets rebuilt? I tried this before with a laquer spray but it scraped off too easy during use.There must be a way to refinish a used blank prior to rebuilding?Thanks again.

Mike,

I have been using boat hull spray paint to refinish blanks. Just make sure to lightly sand the surface of the blank to remove any imperfections and provide a good surface for the paint.

Al