Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumo

Batson SW1087 Guide Recommendations?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I mentioned this on a previous post with a different subject but figured I'd get more specific. The guide set up I was recommended was 50,40,30,25,20,16 Fuji Hardloy BSVLG's and a 16 top. Seems big, conical

The reel seat is already 18 inches from the butt and will be paired with a stradic 5000.

It's my first, but I'm stoked with the way the split cork grips came out, so I really want the rest to come out well for some long term use.

oops I posted too soon

anyway this set up looks like a factory rod I have, works fine but was wondering if it was generic and could be improved.

Thanks all, owe you a brew!

I use the Stradic 5000 on my Lami GSB108M. My set up is this: Fuji 25h,16L,12,10,10,10, 10 Top. With this set up I can cast a mile and still feel the fishy swimmin' by my lures. I know that it's not the same balnk as yours, but I also know that the Batston is lighter action than the Lami. Using smaller guides would be a great way to save some weight on that rod, and IMHO is the best way to go for the lighter side of lure fishing. I'm not a fan of huge guides anyway, to me they just add weight and do little to help you fish. You should try taping the guides on to get the "feel" of it before it's built. You could always take the rod back to the shop you got the parts from and ask if you could try out other sizes and see what you think.

I would stick with the bsvlgs you bought but as BC said in your other post make the first guide a 40 instead of a 50. The stradic 5000 doesnt have a big spool, no need for a 50 stripper.

Anyone wanna chime in on casting difference between a rod fished with 5000 stradic and the 1st guide a 25? I would venture to say that a rod built with a 40 as the first guide would cast much better (unless the 25 is placed VERY far away from the reel).

anyone else feel this way. A 25 is more like a big conventional guide than a stripper guide on a 9ft stick. is it just me?

BC

BC...I'll chime in by saying the NERBS test casted two SW1088's one with a 40h set up one with a 25 stripper (that looked more conventional than spinning) with a penn 5500 with 30# braid and 14 # mono, and the 25 outcasted the 40h...the line just sounded right going through the guides. I was floored when I saw this and heard this.

Bc, im with you on the guide sizes. I really just feel alot more confortable with the "old" concept of guide placement. I have used concept guides before but for my own personal sticks i still use Bsvlgs.

For example here are the three rods i use most frequently and are my favorites performance wise:

11' Lami 1322: 50,40,30,20,16 16 tip

10'6" Lami 1363m 50,40,30,25,20 20 tip

10' Lami 1204 50,40,30,20,16 16 tip

Im really happy with the way the rod perfroms using these setups.

Also for a beginner I would defidently reccomend using fuji bsvlgs instead of the concept guides as there is alot more information on guide placement, and your using less guides so theres less a chance of misplacing them on the rod.