Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qhg

Big Ugly Stick

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Great site! Love the technology.

I have a 10 foot 1 piece Ugly Stick blank(Graphite with clear tip) Very heavy compared to the newer graphites...

What a pain it is to move the guides.

I have electric tape holding the guides on temporarily. I can hear line slap between the reel and the first guide, it will need some fine-tuning.

Do you know of another method to hold guides on temporarily?

Also what do you think of the heavy blank? Is it worth the time, or should I drop some cash into a newer lighter one?

Thanks in advance

QHG

QHG,

The decision to spend the money for a new rod is yours. The Ugly Stick is a tough and inexpensive rod. If you are an avid surf fisherman and can afford the added cost of a better rod, than I am sure you will be happy with the increase in performance that you will achieve with the proper tackle.

As far as an easier way to position your guides, I would change the position of the stripper guide unsing tape until the line slap stops. Then reposition the remaining guides by doing a static deflection test. Then permanently wrap them in place.

Al G.

That is a big time saver. Thanks.

What is the static deflection test?

Is it where you bend the rod backwards and adjust the guides so the line does not touch the rod?

What if there is too much flex, do you add a guide?