stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

3,076 posts in this topic

On 1/25/2022 at 11:49 AM, aae0130 said:

Those are really nice but the fish won’t bite them with those logos…..lol

yah, dunno bout the fishies. But I know some SoCal goats who'd love to give em a chomp. heh heh. Go Niner's!!!

Not a lathe lure, but I don't wanna start a new thread. My last weight shift mag darter-similar lures swam well, so I thought I'd try some Finnish Minnow style mini lures. Azek, two 5/16" BBs return to the magnet. I screwed up the hole for the eye, but IDGAF because these are personal use prototypes. They rest nose down but appear to swim right in my laundry sink. I won't really know how they work until there's a thaw and I can get to water during daylight.

IMG_2551(1).jpg

IMG_2525(1).jpg

IMG_2552(2).jpg

drilling the ball chamber, lol.....ouch!

Cool design, but I thought the idea was for the balls to roll forward, shifting the weight to the nose for swimming, but fling to the rear for casting?  :shrug:

3 hours ago, Ed White said:

drilling the ball chamber, lol.....ouch!

Cool design, but I thought the idea was for the balls to roll forward, shifting the weight to the nose for swimming, but fling to the rear for casting?  :shrug:

ouch is correct, sir!

I drilled an indent into the dowel to snuggly hold the magnet then epoxied it . For these lures I drilled the hole from the nose when blocks of pvc were square, placed the bbs in the hole, plugged the hole with the dowel lubed with 15 min epoxy. Of course I marked the dowel so I knew how far to drive it. At that point, the weight transfer system is inside a squared block that has a picture drawn on it (and guidelines) that was easy to cut the lip slot and drill the screw eye holes. Then I shaped it. I had no idea that a coping saw would cut out the side profile so quick and easy on pvc. When I used to do crown molding with a coping saw I would ruin pieces, lose money, and decided to go back to college. A razor, cabinet file, then sand paper. I had fears I would sand into the chamber (tight tolerances)

Sorry for writing a book (and thanks for asking wvwbud and ed), just 3 more things: that dowel slathered in epoxy gave a solid feeling connection for the lip, belly hanger (1/16" in front of magnet), and line tie. The pvc is easy to be accurate with, so I knew I had the chamber dead center and about 1/8 off bottom. And yes the BBs return to just about center mass, in fact it's hard to break them away from the magnet.

It’s all about the ball chamber Ed. haha

so I spent some time last year messing with the rattle pod ideas. Building the pods ahead of time and using straws and different tubes woks really well. Arrows work too. Then epoxy in place. With those small sizes it might not work but your dexterity may be better than mine for those sizes. Like some mentioned thumbtacks work good on the ends for something to rattle against on the ends. 

now getting them to release from the magnet for the cast. 
possibly put a stainless BB closest to the magnet. Or add a sliver of countertop Formica on the magnet to allow an easier release but still keep the magnet working. Just some things to think about. I’ve never messed with the magnets much but it could be as easy as getting a weaker magnet?