stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

3,076 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, Mike Fixter said:

What Jig Man said..................If you can ever get your hands on one of his Jig-Smith spooks it would be well worth your effort to examine it closely..... Mike

On 1/7/2022 at 7:03 PM, 1amson said:

From the pics it looks like you have them straight through holed/ line tie coming out dead center of nose.  Try a clone of your favorite but with an off center through hole, so the line tie comes out a little below center rather than dead center. That might do it. 

On 1/7/2022 at 7:52 PM, Jig Man said:

Agree, drop the line tie a little so its off center. The other thing I would try is just using one shot of lead rather than two shots in the belly. The lead will act as a pivot point for the plug to rotate around. Multiple weights like that can mess with the action. Might try a shot around 3 1/2 inches from the tail to start. Shape looks good on all three, so a little tweak and they should all walk well.

Thanks gentleman! I’ll give those ideas a shot!

On 1/7/2022 at 8:14 PM, Mike Fixter said:

image.jpg.b90ffa6a1ba34b0b83629b1849b04e1f.jpg

I gotta take a break from trying these damn gliders. Making me lose my mind. Can’t figure em out yet. Giving a bigger needle a crack. I need to make some jigs for drilling weight holes etc. the square ends aren’t the best. 

I think gliders are popular enough now that they may require their own discussion thread. I'm still in the trial and error phase with mine, and some are good, some are just sticks. But I have caught on mine, just need to figure out different sizes, etc.

And I never even thought to turn mine round before cutting them into the flat shape, I was cutting mine out of flat stock and rounding them over on my router table, then drilling all the holes. I like that shape.

1 min ago, Ed White said:

I think gliders are popular enough now that they may require their own discussion thread. I'm still in the trial and error phase with mine, and some are good, some are just sticks. But I have caught on mine, just need to figure out different sizes, etc.

And I never even thought to turn mine round before cutting them into the flat shape, I was cutting mine out of flat stock and rounding them over on my router table, then drilling all the holes. I like that shape.

Several different ways to make them. The issue I’ve been running into with turning them like this is, my center has been off causing the blanks to not be even on both sides. Frustrating as hell. And when I get a good one something else goes to ****. That’s why I’m taking a break for a bit and trying something else. That’s the beauty of making plugs. Always something else to try

Yeah, working off of square ends is not optimal for some things, other times it's fine. Making sure that you have square ends is a good thing to check too. Once they are square, finding and marking center shouldn't be too bad.

53 mins ago, Ed White said:

Yeah, working off of square ends is not optimal for some things, other times it's fine. Making sure that you have square ends is a good thing to check too. Once they are square, finding and marking center shouldn't be too bad.

Yeah the blank I cut for the gliders is a piece that was square and ripped in half. Finding the center of those seems easy but just a tad off….and no dice. I think making the jigs will help me a lot. Found a few threads from a while back that looks great. A few v blocks and I should be good. Also I think it’s time to break down and buy me a small table saw. Trying to keep all my fingers for some more years……

Once you figure it all out, getting the blank square, the shape you want, the weighting right, the swim pattern, the sink rate , its very rewarding. It took me half a year of testing and a chit ton of wasted gliders pretending to be gliders, until it all final came together. once you've start, don't give up, you'll get. It's worth the effort

3 mins ago, Punch63 said:

Once you figure it all out, getting the blank square, the shape you want, the weighting right, the swim pattern, the sink rate , its very rewarding. It took me half a year of testing and a chit ton of wasted gliders pretending to be gliders, until it all final came together. once you've start, don't give up, you'll get. It's worth the effort

I won’t give up on it, not yet at least. I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure it out. It just gets frustrating after you make a wrong cut and to the kindling pile a blank goes. Im not expecting to get it after 2 tries but these are alot different than say a metal lip swimmer to build. Thanks for the encouragement! Your glides look killer

19 hours ago, eelbasher said:

I won’t give up on it, not yet at least. I enjoy the challenge of trying to figure it out. It just gets frustrating after you make a wrong cut and to the kindling pile a blank goes. Im not expecting to get it after 2 tries but these are alot different than say a metal lip swimmer to build. Thanks for the encouragement! Your glides look killer

Thank you

EDD61BCF-2E58-4FAC-BF7B-C5673A22F69E.jpeg.8b65eadfda0217ea8af04ec41b901ac1.jpeg

Drilled out and mocked up. I need to pour larger weights for these though. For my metal lips I’ve just been cutting the tail weights I make. This glider is going to need those larger “pancake” ones that the NJ site has. I already drilled my weight mold but haven’t found the time to pour lead. Plus having a 1 year old now kinda bugs me out if I’m going to be pouring again. Maybe I’ll just order some for now