stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

3,018 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Kones, where did you get your bed extension? I have looked for a used one periodically for years. Don't really need one, but might open up some other turning opportunities.

I bought it new from a major wood working tool supply outfit in Springfield 

11 hours ago, ReeferRob said:

Thanks guys, now the wife wants to make lures this winter. I guess I'll be turning and she'll be painting. I do have a question. Do you use different wood for different lures? I install extruders and they come from Italy wrapped in this really dense pine that is 35mm thick by 100mm wide. Sorry, it's from Europe, it's cut to metric dimensions. The supports are some sort of hard wood that I think might make a decent lure. I'm new to this, but I'd be willing to share for info.

So many on sol have helped me I feel as though I need to give back. All wood is good , just some is better at certain things than others. You will merry wood and lead to get what you want that thing you make do what you want it to do. Turn or shape it then seal 

next prime/paint then coat with e poxy, wire and hardware then fish it. My opinion is try to copy something as far as shape and weight.  Poppers are how I started 7” or so and 2 oz in white and yellow. They flew and they didn’t swim , then I was schooled by Bassmaster on weighting. Now they fly, swim awesome and catch all on the surface so you can see it happen. The swimmers I copied other plugs I bought so I could measure and copy. It won’t be long and you will be swapping plugs and posting pics of new builds and cool paint jobs. Kiln dried pine or spruce 2x4’s are cheap, stay away from the knots and you can make some pretty nice things 

When they start to say things like “ cellar dweller “ or ya know like “you’d rather be in that dungeon than up here with me “ pull out something like this   The black walnut scrap I turned into a little bud vase not the 00 buck 12 , that was for reference not a suggestion. Just sayin and all. They love stuff like this and it’s way way way cheaper than another Rolex bro

3DFC7426-4825-414A-8812-CBE7C88124FB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kones1 said:

When they start to say things like “ cellar dweller “ or ya know like “you’d rather be in that dungeon than up here with me “ pull out something like this   The black walnut scrap I turned into a little bud vase not the 00 buck 12 , that was for reference not a suggestion. Just sayin and all. They love stuff like this and it’s way way way cheaper than another Rolex bro

3DFC7426-4825-414A-8812-CBE7C88124FB.jpeg

Wow. Your lathe skills are better than mine. Yeah I gotta get some fancy wood and make the old lady a french rolling pin or something. (…..needlefish minus everything but the wood :p

51 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Thanks. Posted on your member page. No messaging for you? By choice?

No  I think I’ve been scolded or something. Can’t get there from here

16 hours ago, 1amson said:

Man you’re lucky. My wife gives me crap for spending too much time messing with lures. Calls me the cellar dweller lol. 

Generally it’s more buoyant wood like cedars for surface plugs. Hardwoods are popular for something like a sinking needlefish because it’s more dense.  

Only advice i can really give you (and I imagine most on here will agree) is: experiment.   It’s pretty routine for me to make multiple identical plugs all of different woods just to see which one is best at doing what i want it to do. 
The wood is just yet another variable. 

ps. Post a pic of that wood. Somebody might know what it is just from the pic. 

I'll get a pic sometime this weekend. We're going over to The Eastern Shore tomorrow to pick up the new boat that we put a deposit on 5 months ago. We fish together and we started making lead jigs this spring. She's more into fishing than I am. She's the artist of the family so she'll most likely be doing a lot of the painting. I appreciate the help.

9 hours ago, Kones1 said:

So many on sol have helped me I feel as though I need to give back. All wood is good , just some is better at certain things than others. You will merry wood and lead to get what you want that thing you make do what you want it to do. Turn or shape it then seal 

next prime/paint then coat with e poxy, wire and hardware then fish it. My opinion is try to copy something as far as shape and weight.  Poppers are how I started 7” or so and 2 oz in white and yellow. They flew and they didn’t swim , then I was schooled by Bassmaster on weighting. Now they fly, swim awesome and catch all on the surface so you can see it happen. The swimmers I copied other plugs I bought so I could measure and copy. It won’t be long and you will be swapping plugs and posting pics of new builds and cool paint jobs. Kiln dried pine or spruce 2x4’s are cheap, stay away from the knots and you can make some pretty nice things 

We salvage a lot of lumber, I'm glad now that I saved all of those little 6" scraps from doing other projects during the summer. On top of being a good fishing buddy, she's getting pretty good with the lathe. Again, I appreciate the help.

11 hours ago, Kones1 said:

That chuck system is the hot ticket i

Not to double quote ya but just got email from rockler having sale on the nova chuck bundles .. I really like my g3. But there’s a lot of other stuff on the market cheaper and way more expensive.