stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

3,012 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, t_man7 said:

I gave Alumilite amazing clear cast + a go and am pleased with the results.  Sealed and clear coat, paint is just rustoleum.  Very easy to work with.  

46ACE50B-D284-422E-AC57-002A4022B958.jpeg

Yes, dats shweet.....

7 hours ago, bassmaster said:

What epoxy did you use

Last batch with E Tex. Let me know if I weighted it correctly. Only tank tested it. The next batch will have System 3. I still can’t stand too long but soon. I’m gonna make another batch of “Daves not here” style and you can have your pick. They will be made with all the tricks you taught me this time and a couple I learned on sol. Hopefully that thing catches. 

Edited by Kones1

On 10/30/2021 at 7:30 AM, Kones1 said:

That little dove bar works well in a frenzy it really doesn’t “swim” as much as skip or skim as you rip it through. They have caught small bluefin as well as bluefish with wireleader. I’m real curious to know what you think of the needlefish and how it swims. Please be honest as I’m still learning and your feedback will be welcomed and put to use. I never got to throw it and only tank tested it

I just got a chance to test them out yesterday. Great bad weather testing. It was raining and windy, and the water at the res was choppy af.  Probably going to take them out again this morning to test with a couple of my own. Today there’s no wind at all here  and I’m sure the water is calm.. One of the benefits of living in New England.. ya can test in virtually all possible conditions in a time span of 24 hrs lol. 
Ok, here’s my “review” (for what it’s worth) 
The Dove bar was cool. I was able to make it to the res without trying to eat it. Paint job:  Love the cream gold color. The spots, at first, tbh i was like “oh they’re kinda messy”, then they started to grow on me… then I kinda started to love them. Like abstract art, basically I’m passionate about the spots now lol.  
In the water: With the profile (fat nose, slimmer tail) and weight it the belly, i was immediately surprised at how well it casted. With a slow retrieve it wabbled on top.. kinda like a weaver but on the surface. Faster retrieve, it would skip as you described and  do intermittent little dives, zig zagging erratically then popping back up to the surface. A few times I started ripping it in as soon as it hit the water and was able to keep it about 1’ under. When i did this it would basically have a very intense zig zag, zig zag, corkscrew, zig zag action.  All in all a sweet little plug. If I remember correctly you said they were made of ayc? I would be interested to see what happens with one made of a denser wood and/or more weight in the belly to make suspended/sinking versions. 
The needlefish, she’s a beauty.  Curvy… and I like that. Frikin love that purple and how it fades into the black. That’s some fine fine work for a cheap airbrush haha. Casts really really REALLY well. Stayed straight as an arrow it the whipping wind and rain yesterday.  I was testing a couple of my own at the same time and yours put mine to shame in the castability department in those conditions lol. Was thinking “does this guy have a background in aircraft engineering or some ****?”  In the water: she’s a floater. Honestly, I’m a little partial to sinking needles, but i liked this floater. Had a good angle and a nice gentle wobble on slow retrieve. I noticed that if I gave it a little twitch with my rod tip down I could get it to do a little pop n’ dive. Would actually throw a decent hight, narrow splash upon diving very shallow and popping up.  Did that repeatedly  and it looked like i was stitching the water with your needle lol. I can’t recall getting any action like that with the few floaters I’ve tried in the past (which to be fair to floating needles, isn’t many). In a nutshell an awesome needle and I’ve already decided I’m trying it on a fish first day i can get back out there. 

thanks for sending these man. I kept your shipping info because I have a feeling this ain’t the last time we’ll be trading. 

p.s. HAPPY HALLOWEEN SON 

3 mins ago, 1amson said:

I just got a chance to test them out yesterday. Great bad weather testing. It was raining and windy, and the water at the res was choppy af.  Probably going to take them out again this morning to test with a couple of my own. Today there’s no wind at all here  and I’m sure the water is calm.. One of the benefits of living in New England.. ya can test in virtually all possible conditions in a time span of 24 hrs lol. 
Ok, here’s my “review” (for what it’s worth) 
The Dove bar was cool. I was able to make it to the res without trying to eat it. Paint job:  Love the cream gold color. The spots, at first, tbh i was like “oh they’re kinda messy”, then they started to grow on me… then I kinda started to love them. Like abstract art, basically I’m passionate about the spots now lol.  
In the water: With the profile (fat nose, slimmer tail) and weight it the belly, i was immediately surprised at how well it casted. With a slow retrieve it wabbled on top.. kinda like a weaver but on the surface. Faster retrieve, it would skip as you described and  do intermittent little dives, zig zagging erratically then popping back up to the surface. A few times I started ripping it in as soon as it hit the water and was able to keep it about 1’ under. When i did this it would basically have a very intense zig zag, zig zag, corkscrew, zig zag action.  All in all a sweet little plug. If I remember correctly you said they were made of ayc? I would be interested to see what happens with one made of a denser wood and/or more weight in the belly to make suspended/sinking versions. 
The needlefish, she’s a beauty.  Curvy… and I like that. Frikin love that purple and how it fades into the black. That’s some fine fine work for a cheap airbrush haha. Casts really really REALLY well. Stayed straight as an arrow it the whipping wind and rain yesterday.  I was testing a couple of my own at the same time and yours put mine to shame in the castability department in those conditions lol. Was thinking “does this guy have a background in aircraft engineering or some ****?”  In the water: she’s a floater. Honestly, I’m a little partial to sinking needles, but i liked this floater. Had a good angle and a nice gentle wobble on slow retrieve. I noticed that if I gave it a little twitch with my rod tip down I could get it to do a little pop n’ dive. Would actually throw a decent hight, narrow splash upon diving very shallow and popping up.  Did that repeatedly  and it looked like i was stitching the water with your needle lol. I can’t recall getting any action like that with the few floaters I’ve tried in the past (which to be fair to floating needles, isn’t many). In a nutshell an awesome needle and I’ve already decided I’m trying it on a fish first day i can get back out there. 

thanks for sending these man. I kept your shipping info because I have a feeling this ain’t the last time we’ll be trading. 

p.s. HAPPY HALLOWEEN SON 

That was a great review. Thanks for taking the time to test and write all that. I have to give ALL my needlefish building and weighting skills to Bassmaster , he taught me. If you think that worked well you owe to yourself to throw 1 of Daves. 

Trial and error. Testing. Time. Time. More testing. Change weight location. Time. Testing. More testing. Change width of plug. Mote testing. Time. More testing. O and don’t forget to test it. Again. 

Thanks guys, now the wife wants to make lures this winter. I guess I'll be turning and she'll be painting. I do have a question. Do you use different wood for different lures? I install extruders and they come from Italy wrapped in this really dense pine that is 35mm thick by 100mm wide. Sorry, it's from Europe, it's cut to metric dimensions. The supports are some sort of hard wood that I think might make a decent lure. I'm new to this, but I'd be willing to share for info.

5 hours ago, ReeferRob said:

Thanks guys, now the wife wants to make lures this winter. I guess I'll be turning and she'll be painting. I do have a question. Do you use different wood for different lures? I install extruders and they come from Italy wrapped in this really dense pine that is 35mm thick by 100mm wide. Sorry, it's from Europe, it's cut to metric dimensions. The supports are some sort of hard wood that I think might make a decent lure. I'm new to this, but I'd be willing to share for info.

Man you’re lucky. My wife gives me crap for spending too much time messing with lures. Calls me the cellar dweller lol. 

Generally it’s more buoyant wood like cedars for surface plugs. Hardwoods are popular for something like a sinking needlefish because it’s more dense.  

Only advice i can really give you (and I imagine most on here will agree) is: experiment.   It’s pretty routine for me to make multiple identical plugs all of different woods just to see which one is best at doing what i want it to do. 
The wood is just yet another variable. 

ps. Post a pic of that wood. Somebody might know what it is just from the pic. 

Edited by 1amson