stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

Rate this topic

2,620 posts in this topic

Just cut a few disc off the smaller log about 10” across . Wasn’t terrible even with the battery sawzall . The bigger ones gonna be a little more of a bear I’m guessing 

2B798373-3F84-493F-B29A-9D54BE5A01F6.jpeg

On 10/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Punch63 said:

Painted yesterday, then UV clear coated today, and it gor some casts, had two blow ups,  but no hookups. Casts great and splashes some good water.

20201006_114622.jpg

20201006_121711.jpg

Came out great! Very clean look. 

On 10/9/2020 at 0:48 AM, extreme fisherman said:

Old growth long leaf pine Conrad Jr , both regular and sloped 

8B819A81-0FBF-4773-B645-83279A912BEE.jpeg

Gorgeous wood. I’m drooling. 

On 12/14/2020 at 6:23 AM, Wire For Fire said:

Cool man the acrylic looks great . But yea I split a few in the process here .  Found if After I drill out the center , and sand , I ca glue it before I turn the ring shape . Helped a lot . Messed around with a slice of that Goncalo yesterday. Made one so stupid thin . But seem pretty dam strong but we see . That maple one been holding up great . Made it through a week of getting beat to crap at work and still in one piece amazingly 

37B2E27C-DADE-42E6-BB3A-742473769942.jpeg

3D0D7064-3E94-4E65-AFB8-6BB63794EA4A.jpeg

That is awesome.

8 hours ago, mrscott24 said:

That is awesome.

Thanks , they fun to make . Small but challenging.   This is latest ones . And been working on my CA glue finish . The stuff really polishes out to a pretty dam nice finish and proving pretty hard 

05147AA9-B5D4-4E9D-8098-907B9AD97D46.jpeg

Went for the gusto and chucked a nice 10ish” by 5ish”  hunk up ..  man turning wet wood is fun and I just got a cedar bath ..  but for tonight I only had time to knock it down to round . Ended up with a pretty 7x4.5” blank to make something out of . 

CE56D056-6C9C-4AE0-A730-6C6B010D6818.jpeg

23762BD0-DF64-43A3-A7C5-37E64CB8F76D.jpeg

I hope each and every one of you folks that turn these beautiful lures have figured out a way to apply your name as the builder of the lure. You are not only building lures that catch fish but are making works of art. There is a lot of skill and artistry in making a fishing lure that is not only beautiful but will wiggle and swim to imitate a bait fish . very nice work from each and every one of you guys

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, BassAssasin said:

You going let that sit before using it?

I don’t quite know yet, kinda just winging it after some reading . I’m gathering it’s one of the woods that’s better to turn green . And in sanding the oils heat and really seal up the pores so  maybe it won’t warp into some random shape .  My plans to turn it soon as I get time and probably just a whipe on Polly finish 

I gots plenty to play with . So worst case it comes out awful , but I have some fun and learn some things at the same time 

Edited by Wire For Fire

As you know as it loses moisture you will have movement. Wood carvers I know like to use green wood cause its easier to work but hard to predict what happens when it dries out a bit. A bowl might be nice.

Wire, a lot of good YT vids about turning green stock into rough bowl shapes then storing them away till they're dry....most of the movement will take place as it dries, and will turn the bowl oval, it goes longer with the grain and shorter across it. If you make the bowl evenly thick, say 1-1/4", you'll be able to r-mount it and turn it round after it's dry, and wind up with a round bowl that should be pretty stable. This guy, Stephen Ogle, puts out some good videos, this is a red cedar bowl

Cedar Bowl

I have a couple of Red Elm bowls in process now, they're rough turned and stored in some shavings, waiting for them to lose the water.

1 hour ago, Ed White said:

Wire, a lot of good YT vids about turning green stock into rough bowl shapes then storing them away till they're dry....most of the movement will take place as it dries, and will turn the bowl oval, it goes longer with the grain and shorter across it. If you make the bowl evenly thick, say 1-1/4", you'll be able to r-mount it and turn it round after it's dry, and wind up with a round bowl that should be pretty stable. This guy, Stephen Ogle, puts out some good videos, this is a red cedar bowl

Cedar Bowl

I have a couple of Red Elm bowls in process now, they're rough turned and stored in some shavings, waiting for them to lose the water.

Yea I been reading and watching obsessively . A four jaw chucks in my near future . Just running back plate now with all 8 screws . So idk if it worth trying to re chuck . But I’m slowly gathering the stuff I need to get more into bowls . Looking at nova g3 chuck bundle . Any feed back on it ? 

went for it anyways . Still very wet . Only had time to rough out the out side . Prob tom or this weekend I hog the middle out . But man the wood just gets sexier as I get into it and geeze there’s pink chips and dust everywhere lol but at least I smell terrific 

90B5BB2E-420F-425A-9AD3-E10D0CCE3C48.gif

Nice shape, I've never turned a bowl according to a plan, I just start, and go with it. 4 jaw chuck is worth it, imo, if you find a bundle you'll want the chuck with a couple styles of jaws to fit it, including Cole jaws, or jumbo jaws, that will allow you to grab the outside rim of the bowl at the end to finish the bottom. Set should include a woodworm screw, which goes into the chuck, to start the bowl.

That is going to finish nice, you put some oil on that, it will pop.