stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

1,807 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, repeter_parker said:

Some cut and drilled today.  A bunch of metal lips, pencils, and my first attempt at a Danny.  I see a lot of sanding in my future!

IMG_0914.jpg

yep,you gots some EG to do.

stay on 'em ,,,,yes,you have been busy!

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Roddy said:

EJM heavy-hitter.

9 inch,,4 oz.

EJM-heavy-hitter0.thumb.png.50408aa20227c9bb7d34d678e82d4f82.png

I haven't caught anything on my size XXXL plugs (except one on a largish XL not XXXL needle), but you keep giving me hope and I keep throwing them. 

 

Edit - I just decided to make another jointed-foldable 20" needle that I can actually throw with my rod (4 oz max).

Edited by Fishy Fisher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bunch heading to the spinner. Inspired by the Pichney slopehead eelie. 7" long and about an inch thick at the widest part. Also a pikie at the top!

slopeheads.thumb.JPG.ca071fde97bfbda34ca3639fd84b4f42.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fishy Fisher said:

I haven't caught anything on my size XXXL plugs (except one on a largish XL not XXXL needle), but you keep giving me hope and I keep throwing them. 

 

Edit - I just decided to make another jointed-foldable 20" needle that I can actually throw with my rod (4 oz max).

I took ownership this morning when he showed up fishing.

it is big even to me but,still light for it's actual heft.

I also got a small one which I share after a shot of bushmills.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started working on a new spook. I haven’t seen any built this way with a flat bottom, but same idea as a canal pencil. I fish rivers mostly and the spooks from other local builders will dive in current. Initial testing shows this one stays on top a little better. 

 

I took some design cues from Joe (sporty spook) as well with the eye cut outs. Always admired his work and wish I could have met him. My local club/forum still has a thread where he shared how he built sporty spooks 

4B7E034E-581C-4139-B50B-1C4C84ADE6CF.jpeg

4D5B5F95-394C-443E-BB50-149433F89505.jpeg

312F448B-5DD3-4AF6-8BEC-C7F57B89F002.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on a small batch of spooks. First "batch" I've ever attempted. Man, trying to duplicate plugs with a caliper and template seems almost like a futile effort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ADTR14 said:

Started working on a new spook. I haven’t seen any built this way with a flat bottom, but same idea as a canal pencil. I fish rivers mostly and the spooks from other local builders will dive in current. Initial testing shows this one stays on top a little better. 

 

I took some design cues from Joe (sporty spook) as well with the eye cut outs. Always admired his work and wish I could have met him. My local club/forum still has a thread where he shared how he built sporty spooks 

4B7E034E-581C-4139-B50B-1C4C84ADE6CF.jpeg

4D5B5F95-394C-443E-BB50-149433F89505.jpeg

312F448B-5DD3-4AF6-8BEC-C7F57B89F002.jpeg

I tried flat bottom--have no idea why guess I was curious what it would do. I didn't raelly draw any conclusions although I don't like the ones I made. I think the flat bottom made them stay keeled as they turned--I think. And it seemed to deaden the run a bit. But really no clue what caused what. 

 

Would be interesting to take a spook you like and shave the bottom flat, mayb in stages and see what it does. 

 

That spook you have--the nose is so pointy. It really tapers way down. I would speculate this helps with the bigger spooks and prevents too much water resistence building up and killing the sweet flow of the spook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Working on a small batch of spooks. First "batch" I've ever attempted. Man, trying to duplicate plugs with a caliper and template seems almost like a futile effort

I did a small batch last year--three--trying to duplicate one spook I liked. All three came out different sizes. You can really tell the difference between them. Not huge size difference--all same length--but you can raelly feel the difference when fishing them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

32 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

I tried flat bottom--have no idea why guess I was curious what it would do. I didn't raelly draw any conclusions although I don't like the ones I made. I think the flat bottom made them stay keeled as they turned--I think. And it seemed to deaden the run a bit. But really no clue what caused what. 

 

Would be interesting to take a spook you like and shave the bottom flat, mayb in stages and see what it does. 

 

That spook you have--the nose is so pointy. It really tapers way down. I would speculate this helps with the bigger spooks and prevents too much water resistence building up and killing the sweet flow of the spook. 

I’m far from a topwater expert, but this one walks easier for me than anything I’ve built or used so far. I’m going to try another one I built with some weight and see what that does. The build I’m somewhat basing this off puts a weight pretty much halfway between the belly and tail hook. 

 

For whatever reason, most of the local builders here seem to build pointy nose “spooks”. I think technically they fall into a different category but can’t think of the name at the moment. 

 

Any pics of yours?

Edited by ADTR14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I did a small batch last year--three--trying to duplicate one spook I liked. All three came out different sizes. You can really tell the difference between them. Not huge size difference--all same length--but you can raelly feel the difference when fishing them. 

I hear you. I can see how a duplicator is worth the scratch. I'm interested to see how these fish compared to the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.