stripercrazy

today's turnings, whats on your lathe

1,807 posts in this topic

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:25 AM, repeter_parker said:

Some cut and drilled today.  A bunch of metal lips, pencils, and my first attempt at a Danny.  I see a lot of sanding in my future!

IMG_0914.jpg

yep,you gots some EG to do.

stay on 'em ,,,,yes,you have been busy!

HH

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, Roddy said:

EJM heavy-hitter.

9 inch,,4 oz.

EJM-heavy-hitter0.thumb.png.50408aa20227c9bb7d34d678e82d4f82.png

I haven't caught anything on my size XXXL plugs (except one on a largish XL not XXXL needle), but you keep giving me hope and I keep throwing them. 

Edit - I just decided to make another jointed-foldable 20" needle that I can actually throw with my rod (4 oz max).

Edited by Fishy Fisher

A bunch heading to the spinner. Inspired by the Pichney slopehead eelie. 7" long and about an inch thick at the widest part. Also a pikie at the top!

slopeheads.thumb.JPG.ca071fde97bfbda34ca3639fd84b4f42.JPG

10 hours ago, Fishy Fisher said:

I haven't caught anything on my size XXXL plugs (except one on a largish XL not XXXL needle), but you keep giving me hope and I keep throwing them. 

Edit - I just decided to make another jointed-foldable 20" needle that I can actually throw with my rod (4 oz max).

I took ownership this morning when he showed up fishing.

it is big even to me but,still light for it's actual heft.

I also got a small one which I share after a shot of bushmills.

HH

Started working on a new spook. I haven’t seen any built this way with a flat bottom, but same idea as a canal pencil. I fish rivers mostly and the spooks from other local builders will dive in current. Initial testing shows this one stays on top a little better. 

I took some design cues from Joe (sporty spook) as well with the eye cut outs. Always admired his work and wish I could have met him. My local club/forum still has a thread where he shared how he built sporty spooks 

4B7E034E-581C-4139-B50B-1C4C84ADE6CF.jpeg

4D5B5F95-394C-443E-BB50-149433F89505.jpeg

312F448B-5DD3-4AF6-8BEC-C7F57B89F002.jpeg

Working on a small batch of spooks. First "batch" I've ever attempted. Man, trying to duplicate plugs with a caliper and template seems almost like a futile effort

4 hours ago, ADTR14 said:

Started working on a new spook. I haven’t seen any built this way with a flat bottom, but same idea as a canal pencil. I fish rivers mostly and the spooks from other local builders will dive in current. Initial testing shows this one stays on top a little better. 

I took some design cues from Joe (sporty spook) as well with the eye cut outs. Always admired his work and wish I could have met him. My local club/forum still has a thread where he shared how he built sporty spooks 

4B7E034E-581C-4139-B50B-1C4C84ADE6CF.jpeg

4D5B5F95-394C-443E-BB50-149433F89505.jpeg

312F448B-5DD3-4AF6-8BEC-C7F57B89F002.jpeg

I tried flat bottom--have no idea why guess I was curious what it would do. I didn't raelly draw any conclusions although I don't like the ones I made. I think the flat bottom made them stay keeled as they turned--I think. And it seemed to deaden the run a bit. But really no clue what caused what. 

Would be interesting to take a spook you like and shave the bottom flat, mayb in stages and see what it does. 

That spook you have--the nose is so pointy. It really tapers way down. I would speculate this helps with the bigger spooks and prevents too much water resistence building up and killing the sweet flow of the spook. 

3 hours ago, TheOtherOne said:

Working on a small batch of spooks. First "batch" I've ever attempted. Man, trying to duplicate plugs with a caliper and template seems almost like a futile effort

I did a small batch last year--three--trying to duplicate one spook I liked. All three came out different sizes. You can really tell the difference between them. Not huge size difference--all same length--but you can raelly feel the difference when fishing them. 

Posted (edited)

32 mins ago, Otshawytsha said:

I tried flat bottom--have no idea why guess I was curious what it would do. I didn't raelly draw any conclusions although I don't like the ones I made. I think the flat bottom made them stay keeled as they turned--I think. And it seemed to deaden the run a bit. But really no clue what caused what. 

Would be interesting to take a spook you like and shave the bottom flat, mayb in stages and see what it does. 

That spook you have--the nose is so pointy. It really tapers way down. I would speculate this helps with the bigger spooks and prevents too much water resistence building up and killing the sweet flow of the spook. 

I’m far from a topwater expert, but this one walks easier for me than anything I’ve built or used so far. I’m going to try another one I built with some weight and see what that does. The build I’m somewhat basing this off puts a weight pretty much halfway between the belly and tail hook. 

For whatever reason, most of the local builders here seem to build pointy nose “spooks”. I think technically they fall into a different category but can’t think of the name at the moment. 

Any pics of yours?

Edited by ADTR14

14 hours ago, Otshawytsha said:

I did a small batch last year--three--trying to duplicate one spook I liked. All three came out different sizes. You can really tell the difference between them. Not huge size difference--all same length--but you can raelly feel the difference when fishing them. 

I hear you. I can see how a duplicator is worth the scratch. I'm interested to see how these fish compared to the original.