Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billy 40

NERDs Mass Gathering...a SUCESS!!!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Great time. 10 North East Rod Doctors converged on Rapt Tite's shop for a jam packed day of rod building. Attendees were from MA, RI, NH, Conn and NY, I'm sure each one had a great time.

Some of the topics discussed were: Feather Inlays (John Henry), TAP marbelized painting (John Henry again) installing small ID EVA over a large OD butt (1/2ID slid with ease over about a 1"OD), installing reel seats (Bob fishsomething or other, lol), wrapping, burnishing, inlays and trim bands (Rapt Tite), there was a white NCP wrap with 6 different finishes which will be left in teh sun to see which yellows worse - tehre was so much more that I picked up on Saturday, as well as the 8 hours session me and Rapt spent together Sunday.

Also, there was some awesome food: BBQ steak, Keilbasi (which I LOVED), taco salad, otehr stuff I didn't even see, plus I has wings which we didn't even get to today, lol.

Can't wait for teh New Jersey NERDs get together & surf fishing thingy in October, and hopefully a NY one in January, which more info will be provided.

Good food, nice people, great shop, wonderful weather add a whole lot of rod building knowledge what more could a NERD need. Staying on topic (for the most part) kept it interesting and informative the day just flew by. It was nice meeting and putting faces to screen names, I will try to keep them matched up. Thanks to AMERICAN TACKLE and others for the raffle prizes (won me a nice rod tube). Special thanks to Mike for taking the time to host and put together such an event.

Thanks for having us over Mike/Rapt Tide. smile.gif

Nice to be able to meet some new faces and learn some cool new rod building info as well.

I'm glad I left with LESS than I went their with! biggrin.gif

I feel like I need a power wrapper now having seen one in action! The reverse tension feature is way cool. smile.gif I admire the guys who can do those fancy decorative wraps. I'm making rods for myself and can't get myself to do anything extra to the rods. wink.gif

We should do the NERDS thing more often. May be a fishing trip to USE these rods we have made is in order. smile.gif

Thank You...You were the ones that made it possible. There were quite a few others that were interested but couldn't attend due to prior engagements..could've been even bigger. Worcboys drive by in the a.m. to drop off blanks worked out well and it was a pleasure to meet him. You never know...I may just do this again sometime.Till then I need to practice what I learned. RT

Seems like the NJ Gathering will be in November. Initial plans will include a morning of surf fishing, then a day of Rod building. BBQing will be included as well.

Still ironing out a specific date, when that's settled will start a new post. Any interest, post here, PM me, E-mail. Also think about topics to discuss, as well as what you'd like to bring to munch on or drink.

The date for the gathering will be Nov. 13th

Figure on meeting at the beach in Mantaloking or Bay Head, or if it's easier for some people, we can meet at my house. Plan on fishing around 5 am or so. Tide should be perfect.

Mike

Mike - thanks for the offer to make a mess out of your house - better yours than mine, lol. Will think about this some more, and let everyone know a rough itenerary next week.

Would like to have this one focus on surf fishing, so maybe build a rod from A to Z, with some test casting different guide set-ups. A lot of that depends on the weather, but it would be cool to tinker with the Low Rider/Concept theory, standard 40HH stripper theory, and old school 75mm theory - and see what results we come up with. Same goes for Conventional - standard guide placement V. spiral guide placement.

More to come.

I'm not a rod builder, but I'll go just to fish with you guys and I'll even bring my 1321 with Low riders, which Billy built, and let everyone try it out.. Perhaps put a fish or twenty on the sand.. wink.gif

ErikT

Bump.

THis was the first one, 4 1/2 years ago. Time flies. Still going strong, and growing. Hopefully each one infects anotehr builder to do more and more using the info shared.

It's weird that all my close freinds have been met through rodbuilding and The NERBs. For me, these gatherings are so much more than just rodbuilding info.

lol. I am pretty sure this was before you started building. I couldn't help but bump it up. We've had a lot of great gatehrings, adn met a lot of great people and builders. IT's getting to the point where I might need to rent a hall or something along those lines.