Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msedwards1

Rods for Wire Line

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I have two Penn Sabre 6'6" rods with carbaliod guides and roller tips. They have plenty of whip to them for thier size. The thing is folks tell they are good for umbrella rigs and plugs, but not bunker spoons. confused.gif

What is the difference between using a 6'6" rod for spoons vs. 8' or 9'? Can I get the necessary action out of a smaller rod with spoons?

I am planning on replacing the roller tips with standard carbaloid tips. I just don't care for the roller tips and have seen folks get tangled up in the roller.

Should I just sell the Sabre's and get two new rods that can cover all my trolling needs with wire line? If so what do you recommend?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great on all subjects. smile.gif

Bunker spoon rods are abit "softer". You can tell how the spoon is working by looking at the tip of the rod. Also alot of folks get the "outrigger" rod holders to make the spread wider. Lami BT108 blank is agreat bunker spoon or tube rod.

I have had alot of problems with carbaloy tops. Solder lets go. Look at the Fuji SIC boat tops or the Silicone nitrate II heavy duty tips. Just finishing up two BT857S ( BEST wire line blank ever IMO) with SIN II guides and tips.