Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

Buiding Your Own Power Wrapper ?Chuck?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I build a power wrapper. I got all of the parts off of that auction site with the funny ads. biggrin.gif

I've got a sewing machine motor attached to a v-board--then a chuck--and then I bought two of those ceramic pac bay rod holder things.

First off---the thing is pretty awesome! I've been wrapping by hand turning the rod between two boards with v notches cut in them. Takes me hours. The power wrapper cuts the time in half!

I have one small problem. When I try to turn at a high speed the rod kind of wobbles--it doesn't turn smoothly---just wobbles wider than it should.

I think it is a chuck problem--the chuck isn't centered so it makes the thing turn wider than it should.

Whaddya guys think? What kinds of chucks are you using?

I recently powered a hand wrapper also,using a sewing machine motor. The firstproblem I ran into was that the speed was waaaay too fast for wrapping. After an extensive search, I bought a rheostat switch from Mudhole Tackle for about $25. This thing works great when you wire it in, and now I can get the speed as slow as i need and still use the foot pedal. The chuck you use will not work because it doesn't adapt properly to the motor spindle- I know, i tried it. What does work is the plastic chuck with a peice of rubber with a hole in the center. It still wobbles a little but it is quite controllable. Using this with thin sections of multipiece rods prsents a challenge, but you can build up the rod section with duct tape. Hope this helps. A great resource is Rodbuilders.org. Post any questio and you will get great help from pros.

Thanks!

The chuck I have is one made out of pvc with the rubber in the center. The rod I've tried is an ultralight freshwater one. I'll try a heavier rod and see if that works.

I'll also look at that mudhole thingy---if i push the pedal down---it goes waaay too fast, i added an extra long screw so i can't push it down all the way. Lately I've been pushing on the football with my hand--one hand controls the thread---other hand pushes the pedal.

dcver;out of the foot pedalthere two wire you put the dimmer switch in line with one of the wire. [ black ]----[switch}------

-----[-white---]------------------------------- --

Sandman- i know many folks have posted on using dimmers, but i tried it and it didn't work. I wired it in as you said. The rheostat from Mudhole, however works great on my setup. It's only about $20 if I recall correctly, so the cost is no great factor, and it's the same one used on the Custom Power Wrapper. Anyway, one of these years I may break down and buy the real thing, but I don't make enough rods to justify the cost.

dcver; i used a singer foot pedal and motor'

went it wear out i do it you way buy the rheostat

from mud hole.

tip in make belt's for your machine's.

i need a 14"belt i got some singer sewing belt's[rubber].1/4"d.

made one cut in the belt . glue a few together

with Crazy glue. to make any size belt you want.