Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

Rod butt length?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Just got me thinking....what is the proper butt length? I heard you mention sleeve length etc. I know what I am comfortable with but am wondering what would be the statistical proper butt length for my rods? How would I know? What do I mesure and how is that used to determine the proper length?

Always wondered...but then again, I'm always wondering about something! biggrin.gif

TimS

Tim,

The butt length on any casting rod is critical for optimum casting performance. However, it is just one of several factors that need to be considered when building the rod.

A custom surf rod, whether conventional or spinning, will have the tipward leading edge of the reelseat anywhere from 27-31 inches from the end of the butt.

Most of the surf regulars I build for have a cork tape grip and initally clamp or tape their reel to the rod. When they finally find the most comfortable position for the reel after a month or so of fishing, I then

wrap on a Fuji plate-type reel seat.

Al

Al,

i read in a book some years ago to achive the correct "reel seat area"that you shoul'd tuck the butt end in your armpit/extend your arm fully up the blank,and where your thumb ends will determine the correct seat area.seems a little crude,but is there any truth in that method?been doing that for years,seems to work ok..just wanted to get a pro's input on that method.thanks.

Rick,

While it's a "crude" method, if it works for you, then go for it. The position of the seat also has to do with the fisherman's casting style.

The kind of casting I do is plugging from a boat with a 8 foot rod. A 17 inch butt is the proper length for me. If I were casting from the beach with a 9-10 foot rod the butt length would be 22 inches. I am 5 1/2 feet tall with a 34 inch sleeve.

Al

Hey Al, my preferred butt length is between 20-21 inches myself. Lots of surf junkies say it's too short in the butt...but I think it's the perfect distance, not too long so as to be a hassle, but still long enough to give me the leverage to make casting more effortless.

Great minds think alike biggrin.gif

TimS