Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisheb00

Rod Crafters Allentown

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I just got back from the first night at allentown and I have to say they are some inpressive rods at the seminar. Here are a few pics, they are rods that have EVA grips with EVA inlays and some impressive butt wraps. I'll post some more stuff later.

rodcrafter1.jpg

rodcrafter2.jpg

rodcrafter3.jpg

Yeah it was a pretty good event, great builders, great people and super rods on display. There were guys that have been going to this same event for 30 years. They were all willing to share everything and demo different way of doing things. I picked up lots of little tips that will make my wraping easier. I finally got to meet Al Goldberg after 6 years of chating with him on this board. He is responcible for this mess of a house that looks like a tackle shop. There are just too many guys that made me feel right at home that I couldnt name them all. And there was so much food I have been full since friday night. One tip I learned was to put a plastic bead on my tie off loop to smack it to spin the tag back to the point where I can pull the loop and finish my wrap. Its little stuff like that that helps so much. Billy you should have went because they were all talking about you, thats what happens when your not where you should be. ;>

Yeh..Billy wasn't there to defend himself..he really took a beating ! JUST KIDDING !!!!

48 of us " Got-R-Done" a lot of memories ...good time...lotsa food !It was like a family reunion.

The boat isn't going to sink,thou...Capt. AL is going to try to "keep us together" with future gatherings in the region. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Billy,you should have been there.

Great people,great food and a great time.

I learned a bunch of new tricks from everyone there.

Al G ,Capt. Neil and the other presenters did a fantastic job as usual.

Harv was his usual self slapping down a BIG glob of epoxy on the reelseat threads during Hugh Millers drywall tape arbor demo so Hugh could show how to clean it off after Hugh had just finished installing the whole handle assembly without even a hint of epoxy showing.

It was pretty funny and Hugh cleaned it off without any trouble.

I had a great time and hope to do it again next year.

If I get some time, I'll add a few inlays I've been working on

Well, great way to jinx yourself is to post something like this. I sanded right through 8 hours of wrk yesterday AM. HACK-Choo!

Glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourself & had a great time.

I see Inlayman has registered on SOL. WELCOME Bernie!!! Next year we'll hopefully bump into each other on the Ocean Eagle.

I've got some inlay pics for you, just give me a few days to get my act together.

Hey guys thanks for the nice words this web site is quite good and I think I will like it. Billy every site on fishing I know of is sure to find you. How do you have time to build rods? You missed a very good seminar and we had an orgy too. A food orgy, every time we turned around it was time to eat. I even ate more then Harv. We are working on a seminar in the fishing capitol of the world. MONTAUK fISHING AND ROD BUILDING. How does that sound.

Billy wastes a LOT of time on the stupid computer when he should be wrapping rods.

I'm proud to say you've really inspired me to use my creativity when building a rod. The Italian Rod for (I think ) Esh, the Flag rod, and the rod of you holding up a striger of fish - really opened my mind up to "Theme" rods. I know how much pride you take in those types of rods (the WTC rd is another, which I haven't seen in person, yet) - I share this pride when I come up with something that I know the customer (or family member) will just LOVE to death.

There's so much more to it than just gluing grips, wrapping guides, epoxying - and getting it out the door - this way I can wrap 4 more just like it.

Billy I am honored that I had inspired you to do some inlays and general art work on rods. I have been criticized by a few for intimidating others with my work. My intention was just the opposite and meant to inspire and show people what can be done in rod building. As you know I have always been glad to share my knowledge and do demos for teaching others. My mission was always to remove the word cosmetics from the rod building vocabulary and to call it by it's proper name art. And to the gentleman that wants to see my mermaid maybe if I get a chance I will post it.