Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surf dweller

Winding over cork tape

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Are you putting some epoxy on the cork first?

That's the only way I've found I can move the tread together correctly.

With out it, it looks like crap smile.gif .

I'm no expert but the best way I found is to wrap the area you are looking to finish with D thread cause its easier to work over the cork tape..Then put a thin coat of epoxy over that..Then I wrap trim bands or whatever over that..

Hi,

Try wrapping black plastic electrical tape over the area. Then you can wrap black thread over the plastic tape. Then epoxy the thread. Do not use too much pressure on the thread or tape.

I have done the epoxy over cork tape and then thread over epoxy method a few times and it has worked out well for me.

The five minute epoxy worked fine for this job.

One thing that did happen though is that I seemed to get a lot of bubbles in the flex coat that I put over the thread wraps. No big deal I just cut or sanded them out and the applied a second coat. But it seemed that there was a lot of air trapped under the thread and bubbled out as the finish dried. Just something to watch for.

i've used electrical tape and so far no

problems with contaminates from the adhesive.

stop the thread short,then spin in lathe

and trim close as you can for a straight end,

then put away the eccess tape.

john WR

Unless you're useing metallic thread then there's no need to try to get all the thread wraps even. I use the thread to build a ramp and then just continue up onto the cork tape. No need to make sure they're all laying side by side, just make sure you don't have any gaps. Once you put on the epoxy it all blends in and you can't tell. This doesn't work with metallics though.

I just wrap right over the cork tape and have no problem. I did point out shrink wrap cause I know one local builder who does hundreds of rods that way and it works well.

You get lots of bubbles on the first coat with certain finishes. i have a hard time with UD 40 over cork tape but the solution is to put on a very , very thin first coat. I have no problem over the cork tape if I use Classic Coat. I don't know why. Its only ever a problem on the first coat. I never get any bubbling on the second coat .

Black hides all problems . i find when using a metallic thread , especial when going up the taper on the forgrip , you need to file and or sand a nice smooth taper in or irregularities will show in the metallic after finishing. In black nylon , no irregularrities show at all after finishing.