Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcaster1

Cork Tape Grip with Reel Seat

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I've got a question on bulding a new surf rod. In the past I've just built them with a long cork tape grip and taped on the reel. I have a new surf blank and I'd like to build it with a reel seat with a cork tape butt and fore grip.

Here's my plan: Glue the reel seat in position and then wrap on the cork tape fore grip and butt section. I would cut the cork tape where it meets the reel seat with an exacto knife blade. Then I would put a ring of electrical tape over the joint between the seat and cork tape. Next I would wind "D" thread over the electric tape ring to build a smooth transition. Then finish with color preserver and flex-coat.

Does that work for you guys?

If I wanted to put short tapered hypalon on each side of the reel seat how would you end the cork tape wrap so it ends neatly next to the hypalon?

Your opinions and advice are appreciated.

Are you putting the guides on first or the reel seat? What I would is,if reel seat on first,start with the butt handle end..cork tape(1/16 thickness),go an inch or 3/4 extra, stop where seat is going to be placed (epoxy and then sand the end)then slide reel seat until it fits snug over the cork tape. Then try to slide cork tape under the reel seat to start the foregrip . My .02ct.'s

The "short tapered hypalon on each side of the reel seat" hides a multitude of evils and is often the most compelling reason for doing that. No need to trim the cork tape to it; it should run underneath, all the way to the seat, at either end. There's less need to worry about a tidy cork tape to reel seat fit becacuse the joint is covered by those "trim rings". Or whatever they call 'em nowadays smile.gif

I usually do it similar to Marky's method. The hypolon nub thing looks cheesy to me and adds lumps where they shouldn't be. The most secure is with the cork tape held down under the seat. Then you can ramp up some thread on either side of the seat, and epoxy it for a perfectly smooth transition. Or you can short cut that with one inch pieces of shrink wrap on either side of the seat. Lotta ways to skin that cat

For several years now I have been making my rods with a cork foregrip and cork tape rear grip, inspired by Loomis's surf rod setup. I like the cork foregrip better than Loomis' hypalon grips, both visually and tactally. I also often double cork tape wrap the butt to build it up. This makes for a durable combination with the advantage of the cork foregrip for comfort when playing a fish. It also eliminates the need to make a wrapping transition from the reel seat to the foregrip. I would probably use a hypalon shaped grip for the front instead of cork tape if that were my only option. If I am primarily using the rod in the boat, I use a safety tread overwrap ala Loomis as this stands up better to the wear of being in a rod holder.

DSCN0043.jpg

The top rod is a Amtak 1209, the next 2 are Batson 1088, Batson 1087 and the bottom one is my son's Amtak 967.

For the rear grip on spinning rods I have been mostly using heat shrink tubing at the transition from the reel seat to the tape, often times with a little superglue to keep it in place. For conventional rods where the diameter of the reel seat is larger, I cork tape wrap the butt first, then slide the reel seat over the tape. If necessary, I fill the remaining gap with epoxy and/or rod wrap finish.

DSCN0042.jpg

I think this setup is functional, aesthetically pleasing, more finished looking and actually simpler to do than wrapping and finishing over cork tape (which I used to do a lot). I hope it at least gives you some ideas.

[ 08-21-2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: fishing bum wannabe ]

I have also made some where after the build , I put the rod on the lathe and turn a taper into the back of the seat so there is no ridge digging into your hand. For some set ups its not needed but if its a skinny blank there is sometimes quite a lip there. Anyway , very easy to sand a little taper in the rear of the graphite reel seat.

I personally don't like the hypolon. i think it gets slimed with time . I prefer cork tape only.

I received my SW1087 in the mail yesterday and pretty much had the set up complete in my mind. The info on the guides from this forum was great. Now having seen the pictures of Fishing Bum Wannabes set ups, I'm really going to have to rethink how I want to do the rods. Nice work.