Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fungus

Heavy Jigging/plugging rod

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Looking for some opinions on heavy sticks for use as a heavy jigging/plugging rod.

Rod will be wrapped as a spinner.

I have done searches and read all that I can find but I am looking for some direct comparison experiences if at all possible.

Currently I am using a Lami SB1213M or a Batson SU 1209.

I like the Lami and I like the Batson. However something in between I think would be ideal for what I am looking do do, Jigs and plugs in the 3-5oz range.

Is the Allstar 1209 really just like the Batson SU1209 or is it softer/stiffer.

The Lami XRA1261MH may be where I am headed but does anyone have direct experience with the Zzplex Sea RaiderII compared to these blanks?

All input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I would think the SB1213m would be perfect for what you want, and it's heavy to boot tongue.gif

To my understanding the Arra is very similar to the 1213m, just weighs a bit less and has a smaller diameter butt.

The All Star and Batson SU are supposed to be nearly identical.

-spence

The 126 1MH sounds like it's right up your alley.

It's overall action is very similar to the 121 3M, but being graphite, it's a little easier to load and has a faster recovery on the cast, so your distance will improve. Rated 4-6 but with a spinning reel, throwing 2 will be duck soup.

I cast 4-5 oz jigs with ease. Not much effort required to get distance out of it. One caution---it has a more parabolic action than most higher modulus rods, and it helps if you throw higher on the cast

Take a look at the Allstar 1208 or the Amtak 1209. Both blanks are very similar. And it sounds like just what your looking for. Tosses the big wood and heavy stuff from 3 to 5oz great, and will work a 4 and 5oz jig with no problems. It's not the beast that the SU1209 is, and it's a lot faster action then the Lami's are. Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes, but for me, I like the faster blanks for plugging and jigging much more so than the slower Lami actions.

My $0.2

I have the Allstar 1209, the SU 1209, the Allstar 1208, and the Sea Raider II. I also had the Amtak 1209.

Of those blanks for 3 to 5 I'd pick the Allstar 1208, the Sea Raider or the SU 1209 for economic reasons only. The AS 1209 won't load with 3 and barely loads with 4. The Amtak 1209 doesn't have the back bone to lift 5 regularly for jigging. For the money the SU 1209 will do all you want but it's a beast of a stick with a huge butt diameter. To me it's kinda too much. More of a 5 and bait then a regular plugging/jigging stick.

To me you should be looking at the AS 1208 or the Sea Raider if you can get it and want to spend the bucks. The AS 1208 is faster with more power in the tip. The Sea Raider is very different from most US blanks. You get power all the way through the rod. Not really parabolic in that although the whole rod loads, the power on the cast seems to come from the mid section of the rod.

After all this I re-read your post. Your setting up spinning. I'd go with the AS 1208. I've never seen a Zziplex set up spinning. They're made as casting blanks. You may want to PM Big Dave as to their use as spinning blanks.

Take a GOOD LOOK at the batson SU1208.

I have a SU1209 set up as a spin and a SU1208 set up conventional. The SU1208 loves 4oz lead heads and plastic and bucktails. It feels like it was made for that combonation. You can go an ounce up or down with no problem. In fact I am going to tie one up as a spin rod for next year. What I realy like about my batsons is durablilty. I have beat the snot out of my rods, tripped on the rocks, dropped in the water, slid of the side of the truck on to the ground and no problems.

Everyone should have an Allstar 1208 in their arsenal. It can do everything and has enough balls to turn good fish in a current with ease. It will also cast bombers if you load it properly, with a longer leader. The 1213m is alot softer and while it "feels" light years apart its designed to do the same as the 1208, but is much much slower. If casting distance is going to be a factor, get the 1208. Its like swinging an aluminum bat, (the 1208) and using a Lousivlle slugger (the 1213m.) I have them both and love both of them.