Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matthew S.

X-Heavy Blank Recommendations

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

This question may be a little out of place, but i have read a ton of great info on this site, so here goes:

I am planning on doing some shark fishing from the beach here in SW Florida. I have a Daiwa 900H spooled with 50lb mono. I want to build a rod to go with it, but the reel is pretty beefy and i am having a hard time finding a blank that will match. Something x-heavy (duh), over 6' in length, fast action.

Im hoping that some of the tuna guys might have some suggestions. The sharks are in the 200-300 lb range. Pretty much stand-up fishing on land.

Thanks in advance

If you can find one, the Harrington/Harnell 552 is one of the more popular shark fishing blanks along the Texas coast.

Be warned--it's 10' and weighs a ton, but it could probably pull an 18 wheeler out of a mudhole wink.gif .

Check With Nick Meyers on breakaway board , he has a new beach shark rod out called the Nuke . Could be what you are looking for .

Gator Glass rated to your line specs. THat is probably teh most popular pier rod for Shark in Florida.

If you want a Tuna blank, a Calstar Boomer JR. might do the trick. From what I understand, casting isn't that important down there, you drift the bait out from teh pier.