Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
korkerstud

1321M Spacing

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Anyone have guide spacing they can share to get me started on this blank? I was gonna do a search here but can't find the search feature.

I am doing five guides plus tip. BSVLG 50, 40, 25 ,20 16, 16 tip. I really just need a rough distance from reel face to the 50 stripper so I can set it up and start test casting.

VS250 and 50 lb Power Pro. Thanks.

Alex

Alex,

Either secure the 50 with surgical tubing or masking tape at 32" and check the angle of the line with the reel in position so that the line roller is

facing out. You probably can go further but at least thats a starting point!

I too have noticed that the search feature is gone?

Whats up with that TIM??

Thanks bud. I have an old article I am working off of which puts the stripper at 41 inches from the reel. That seemed far out to me. I thought about 35 inches seemed right to start. Thanks for confirming that for me.

The search feature seems to come and go from time to time. I hope it comes back, there is a ton of good info in these forums.

Alex

Best setup I've wrapped for a 1321M would be

40HH-30M-25-20-16 with a 16 or 20 tip, whichever you prefer. spacing from tip back goes:

8in-18in-30in-44in-64in. Reel is a 706Z taped on at 27in from stem to butt, puts spool face 39in from stripper, noticeably better caster with heavy plugs than a similiar one wrapped with a 50 stripper. wink.gif

Thanks surfrat59 for the info. Bud that is a braid setup. Surfrat59 I believe in the small guide concept for braid, but why would it outcast the standard 50 stripper guide setup significantly? If both rods are set up properly I have trouble believing one would outcast the other. I am curious since this rod is being built to throw big plugs..

Alex

Korker,

Doesn't matter what you are casting, be it plugs or tins. The mechanice still remain the same.

As for the 40 outcasting the 50?

Unless the 50 places the part of the ring closest to the rod as hig as the 40 it will end up closer to the reel. You can put the 40 farther out and by doing so, give the coils a bit better chance to mellow out before being choked. The 50 will choke the coils as well, so unless you are planning to use a guide that is considerable larger than the spool (can you get a 90mm?) you dont have to worry. As for being a braid setup? Not quite! That might be a 30 stripper for that.

I suggest trying both guides and modifying the layout until you are satisfied with each and then choose what works best for you. Many ways to skin a cat here an they all have valid points! icon14.gif

Have fun with your new rod and post some photos of it and the large you slay on it! smile.gif

Not a braid setup, I use a 706Z with 17lb mono on that rod. There are 2 theories to line choke,3 actually if you consider Fuji's concept system, one is to choke gradually through all or most of the guides,aka the " cone of flight" theory, more recent and IMO more efficient is to choke at the stripper and let the line shoot through the rest with minimal friction,and this method is just as effective with mono and large diameter spools as it is with braid, the key is placement of the gathering guide in relation to spool diameter, and in the case of the choke all at once theory the guide will always be further from the spool than a traditional large diameter guide, how much further depends on the reel height, spool size, and yes sometimes line type.The 75mm gathering guide has long gone the way of the dinosaur and the 50mm is right behind it, although it's tough to sell the look of small guides on a surf rod to veteran casters, I'll admit it still looks out of place to me too. Every rod I've built, even two of the same blanks, because no two are really ever the same anyway, have dozens of test casts in them with at least two, sometimes four different guide configurations, before they get wrapped. Even gone so far as to employ a motor driven tripod mounted camera with high speed flash sync to capture the effects different setups have on line oscillation and choke effectiveness, sounds a little nutty but it works. The specs I gave ya are after rewrapping the same blank 3 times 3different ways and fished over the course of 3 seasons, my never ending pet project, and it works best as currently configured wink.gif

Surfrat59, impressive stuff. Sorry for jumping to conclusions on the 40mm being a braid setup, I was ignorant that it could be used with mono effectively. I'll have to make a trip to Freeport for the high frame guides and give them a try. My 120 1L needs to be rebuilt this winter and I'd like to go the hi frame route on this blank as well.

I'm happy to be getting feedback from guys who really put time into testing these setups, much appreciated.

Alex