Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

How was it Al?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Gad,

It was a long weekend. The format was changed and we added a talk an three demos to the Saturday night programs. There were 24 subjects covered in the entire program. In addition, there was a great fleamarket with lots of great blanks and other goodies at great prices.

Mr. Sinbad was there as a first timer and can give you his impressions.

Sorry you couldn't make it.

Al

I am still reeling around with all the information I have learned. Everyone was extremely nice and very knowledgable, but most of all, was willing to share that knowledge with you. The amount of brain power that was there is truly humbling and many rodmakers there were much smarter and more accomplished than me. I took as much notes as possible (and some pics) including the tips offered by others. The commoraderie (spelling?) is clearly apparent and I felt comfortable with everyone there and they were accepting of me as well. Dick French and Cam Clark were quite amusing and had everyone chuckling/laughing everytime they spoke.

The demonstrations were real eye-openers from guide feet prep, to color changing weaves, to equal angle guide placement, etc. Some of the rods brought along would "knock your socks off," THEY WERE THAT GOOD!!! I did a demonstration (more a show and tell) on my machined removable butt extension and it was well received and I felt at ease because everyone was soooo nice.

The food was fantastic as well. We had hand carved prime rib, turkey, chicken, roast beef, pasta, veggies, desert, etc. They lost money everytime I ate there!

Folks, if I could help you make up your mind on going next year, I would simply ask you one question... How much do you think it's worth to have one on one time with many ofthe legends in rodmaking, receive free advice/tips/help, see demonstrations from masters, eat like a king, pick through Dick French's flea market, make friends from all over the US??? PRICELESS!!! When you walk away with all this, the price for admission pales in comparison. See you next year guys!!!

Oh, Al, I still owe you a beer. wink.gif

Oh, back to Gad's question on the highlights... I'll post separately on the demos given later this evening.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 03-25-2002).]

OK, here is the agenda of demonstrations and talks that were given during the Rodcrafters Seminar. (Al, if this is not OK, please delete and accept my apologies.) *=Demos

New Products - Dick French

IRS & Excise Tax - June Rittscher

Box Wrap Basica 101* - Roger Ratshny

Guide Feet Preparation* - Hugh Miller

Handles from Wine Cork* - Charles Sexton

Fish & Game & Excise Tax - Lanny Moore

Composit Blanks - Al Goldberg

Color Change Weaving* - Tim Wombold

American Flag Crosswrap* - Al Goldberg

Wrapping Under Power* - Cam Clark

Spiral Wrap Rods - Dick Herb

Applying Epoxy Finish* - Terri Cheatham

Removable Butt Extension* - Ed Sinn

Feather Inlays* - Pat Vizant

Color Change Weaving* - Jeff Obenhauer

Rod Designs with Stickers & Decals* - Jeff Bodie

Rod Photography with Digital Camera* - Ron Dunn

Spine - Dick French

Equal Angle Guide Placement - Don Morton

SST Handles - Pat Vinzant & Don Morton

Wood Selection for Hosels & Inserts* - Rusty Rostad

Reel Seat Installation* - Hugh Miller

Let's Talk Thread* - Ed John

As you can see, there was a lot of information exchanges here and I can say whole heartedly say it was worth every penny.

You guys missed a GREAT seminar.I'm still reeling from information overload.

Al,Ed and all the other Rodcrafters were great at sharing their wealth of information.

I was even learning stuff while waiting in line to eat lunch.