Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iluv2fish

cracked epoxy

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

i have some hairline cracks in the epoxy on some of my guides its not peeling off but was wondering if they will hold up? i was thinking of puting a coat of epoxy over top of it so it will last longer, what do you think.

A thin coat won't hurt, but you will most likely get cracks in that as well.

You can fish the rod with no worry about guides falling off, but there will eventually be some rusting under the thread.

Chances are, the guide feet were not prepared properly (it is a commercial rod, yes?) and on an off the shelf rod, you rarely if ever see this anyhow. If it's not a big deal, fish it till it's getting bad and then re-wrap it.

The cracking may also be caused by the blank flexing more than the epoxy (normal). If you want to delay the inevitable try coating the wraps with AFTCOTE wrap finish which is very flexible. There is another product, I have yet to use, called Thread Master finish. Billy V and Rapt Tite have good things to say about it. Good luck

I have done this in the past with success. I suggest a very light sanding with steel wool on the existing epoxy. Clean thoroughly w/ alcohol. The fine scratches from the steel wool will be invisable once the epoxy is applied and will assure that the new coat adheres to the original.