Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cool Hand Fluke

Homemade wrapping station question.

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I have started gathering the components for making a wrapping jig and I have a question that I am not sure of the answer.

My jig will have at least three sets of soft rubber wheels to support the blank and aid I the turning process. My question is if I align the sets of wheels to be at the same height wont that make the rod sit at an angle in the jig since the wider "handle" portion will sit higher up in the jig than the more narrow "tip" portion?

Do I need to take this into account or it wont matter since I will be wrapping by hand and making sure that the wraps line up anyway?

The angle is only an issue if you're power wrapping since not having centerline level will cause runout, and the blank will whip and vibrate, often pretty badly, although at modest speeds you can even get away with that. Adjustable height is real nice, but adds a lot of engineering and fabrication complications. Endless numbers of great looking rods have been turned out on even simple Vee block supports with the non-level lay of the blank being no issue whatsoever.

chf,

if you could develop a way to slide the wheels in and out, that would allow you different heights. if you move the wheels closer together, obviously the rod sits higher, if you move them apart, it sits lower.

now, I dont think it is essential in the least bit. Ive built every rod I ever made before this yera on V-Blocks as was mentioned above, and NEVER had a problem. I was just trying to get fancy schmancy!

BC

Fruke,

I can show yo a design to get adjustable, but you could probably build a couple of rods on V blocks with the time you'd spend to build it.

BTW, rollerblade wheels make for nice wrappin jig wheels.