Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
codfish

hind site is 20/20 from a tackle shops pespective

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I had friends at a couple of local tackle shops talk about big box retail. First off they fear that Bass Pro shops moving into Foxboro and Cabela's into Conn will create a killing zone to the indipendent shops. Out hear on Cape Cod they are trying to promote fishing tackle that is not sold to the major retailers, espically lures.

I live in Mashpee,and I don't see Cabela's and BPS in the Foxboro area being a threat to local B&T's.I really don't.They can't sell you shiners or make sure you know how to tie that tricky knot,can they??

I have to say this. Bass Pro and Cabelas are not Sports Authority and Dick's coming in the areas. These guys carry a lot of stuff and at good prices. Will they put local B&T's out of business maybe not but they will take a very big chunk of the tackle market share within 50 square miles.

would you trust a nail knot tied by someone at cabela's or BSP? i know i wouldn't. not after spending 40 bucks for a spool of wire. im not gonna chance it all going right out the back of the boat the first time it hits the water.

That's it exactly clammer.When I have someone at a local B&T take off old mono to put on braid I tell them to put on enough so I'll never see the knot so I won't get nervous.Imagine leaving it to some knucklehead at a box store !!I wouldn't be able to sleep.

they put forward a real risk, lets not be niave. If they sell tackle at a lower cost.... then we have a problem.. the normal give and take that happens at a bait shop can not be surpassed (in real application type endevours)but.. all I can say is I wish I did not have the option... screw any walmart application of business techniques....

up with india and down with the USA frown.gif

1st let me say Competition is always good for the consumer.........

Having worked at a BPS and seeing first hand the changes it can bring about I will say this: I have not seen any shops in MD go out of business because of BPS. What has happened is that many local shops have lowered their prices and paid more attention to the customers and how they are treated by their employees. Finally most BPS employees are very knowledgeable about the local areas since they are normally very selective as to whom they employ. Both have their place but the key advantages the local shops have is the all important location advantage as well as the ability to adapt to market changes faster than BPS. If BPS not learned from the mistakes here it may take them several years to properly stock their saltwater section for your area..

These stores are going to bring a lot of jobs to the area. That's what people think when they approve them, that and the taxes. How many jobs is it going to take away?

They are taking jobs away from people who handed stores down father to son or expert to expert.

Now that pimply faced stoner kid can have a job shoving 24.99 taiwanese snoopy combos on the shelf making minimum wage. Real step up.

I was in Walmart yesterday to pick up things for my mom and took a gander at the fishing selection. Other than sluggos, I couldn't find one thing that I wanted. And because of that, I put the sluggos back on the shelf and I'll go to the local tackleshop.

Screw that place.

IVE BEEN TO A COUPLE OF BASS PRO SHOPS AND WALKED AWAY WITH A COUPLE OF SOFT PLASTICS I MIGHT HAVE ORDERED ANYWAY.THE FISHERMEN TAKE PRIDE IN THERE LOCAL B&T THEY USUALLY CAN GET AN UP TO DATE FISHING REPORT AND A BUNCH OF OTHER REASONS TO STAY LOYAL.I GET BETTER DAELS IN MY LOCAL SHOPS THAN CABELAS CAN EVER GIVE.

You've seen the local hardware stores get shut down because of Lowes and Home Depot. The same can hppen here. Me personally, I go out of my way to support the local cigar store, hardware and tackle shops before I go to the box stores. Sometimes you have no choice. The internet causes the same issue to some degree.

As far as the small shops lowering there price to compete with bass pro, how much less can you charge for storm lures, which is quite popular, when Dick'S, are selling the same product for 1.99, and as far as the local tackle shops improving on service, personally the ones I frequent, presently do a great job. And as far as checking out Bass Pro when they arrive, I will try and resist but curiosity will probably get the best of me, an I will go and say to myself I WILL JUST LOOK

I used to live 10 minutes from the BPS in Concord. I went there 2-4 times a week. Spent a ton of $$$ there too. At the same time I was going to a "local" tackle shop about 35 minutes away. Spent lots of moey there too. I would rather spend a couple extra bucks to get great service from a guy who really knows the water I am fishing on but when I nee to restock my hook colection I don't need to talk to anybody about that. BPS and other big tackle stores will not couse the little guys to close. Compareing a BPS to a Home Depot is a far stretch. My opinion if a Cabeleas or BPS couses a store to close it's doors the store was struggiling to beginwith. Costomer service is the key to mom and pop stores.

This might eliminate some of the crappy treatment some of the baitshop guys give to customers who come into thier shops. They're going to have to act civilly or go under.

I'm debating whether to buy something from Cabelas or give a local shop my business. If I give the local shop my business I have to pay state tax. Cabelas even offers free shipping.

Hmmm....