Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
basschazerRP

Flexcoat bubbles

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

What is the best way to get bubbles out of Flex coat during the application process ?

I usually try to get the bubbles out by working them out with a brush.

I also use one of those hand held lighters to apply some heat if the brush thing doesn't work.

Sometime these two steps work but sometime they don't. Does anyone have any helpful advise ?

I've heard that Aftcote doesn't bubble as much. Can anyone confirm that ?

Thanks

The method that works best for me:

Set the rod in motion in your dryer (mine is 10rpm). Check that the rod is level, the easiest way is with a cheap torpedo level.

Mix 2x the amount of Flex Coat than you think you really need.

I use a dental pick to apply finish, any clean, non-porous object of approriate size will work.

Starting from the tip cover the wraps with finsh -use 2x as much as you would like to end up with. You will find that (hopefully) that it's much easier to apply finish accurately when you aren't worrying how much is too much. The surface tension of the epoxy will hold a nice, straight edge.

Go back to the tip, with a propane icon25.gif torch in hand and heat each wrap in turn until the epoxy is about to drip. Don't let the flame touch the wraps, you have the most control if you aim the flame over the top of the wrap. Take your clean tool and "scrape" the epoxy from one end of the wrap to to the other, catch the falling epoxy on a paper towel. Repeat once scraping from the other direction. Apply heat for a moment to ensure the furrow in the finish closes.

Don't reapply finish once it has touched your wraps- finish is cheap compared with having to do things twice.

I rarely have to use more than one coat and never get the dreaded "footballs" or bubbles with this method.

Best of luck

gad

when i apply flex coat ill put it on the wraps,then ill heat it with a alchohol burner,this pops the bubbles and smooths the finish a little more.if you dont have a torch,you can simply blow on them like your cleaning glasses,this works fine to..good luck

-Apply as thin as possible so the spinning action of the dryer can force the bubles out.

-Don't use a brush to apply the mixture, air trapped in the brush will be introduced into the mixture.

-If you're brave, add a few drops of Acetone to the mixture, mix another 30 secs, you can see instantly most of the bubbles will be gone (this work best specially if you use regular FlexCoat).

When mixing fold the mix DON'T whip. First it will get cloudy then it will clear, its now ready. The carbon monoxide given off from a small flame is what pops the bubbles not the flame itself or the heat. Neaver use a cigar lighter as it gives off sutt. Hair driers and heat lamps ****** the mix from setting up. Remember Epoxi cures, it doesn't dry.

Hi 25 years ago I used a hair drier. to remove bubbles untill Cam Clark from RodCrafters showed me under a magnifing glass what I did was make tons of micro bubbles. You also chance blowing dust in to your finish. (Look at the blads on the drier fan) As for heat I use a butane torch. I use a blue flam. I put my hand in front of the flam untill I feel the heat without burning myself. This well be the distance I keep the flame from the finish. You do not need a lot of heat to pop bubbles. I also mke sure I have my wraps packed tight and burnished. You might try using a artists paint spatula.

Good Wraps Bob

Gadwall8

"I use a dental pick to apply finish, any clean, non-porous object of approriate size will work"

I have done something like that, it also traps less air.

I take the Yellow cheap brush that many use for flexcoat, place about 1/2 inch of the platic tip (the end on the other side of the brush)in a SMOOTH face vise and compress to about 1/16th.

It comes out flat smooth and with smooth round edges. Works great, no hair to make air pockects.