lami rod -- tri-flex or ron arra?

Rate this topic

joan

Need advice on the difference between xra 1322 1-5 oz lure and g1335t lami 1-8 lure aside from price. Thinking of using it for plugging, and maybe light chunking.

The g1335t is supposed to be their new tri-flex rod built with graphite and fiberglass. The Ron Arra is all graphite, and that being the case, would the new tri-flex have a better lifting power than the xra? What are to pros and cons between these rods?

Thanks in advance

Joan,

I believe the Lami G1335T is the model designation for a finished all-graphite salmon rod. The Arra 1322 is an 11 foot all graphite second generation surf blank.

The new triflex surf blanks have just been introduced by Lami and I have not yet seen them.

The 1322 is a big blank at 11 feet. Depending on your height and arm span, a shorter rod like the 1205 may be better for you.

Here are some questions for you to answer:

Height and arm length.

Casting ability - intermediate or advanced

Lure weight range

Reel, line type and pound test.

Primary areas being fished.

Al

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 08-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 08-05-2001).]

The triflex blanks are a bit of an unknown quantity, as they're new on the market.

Generally speaking, composite rods are a bit slower, a bit softer, a smidge less sensitive and a lot more tolerant of abuse than "graphite" rods. This makes the composites argueably the better choice when fishing in high-abuse environments (party boats, jettys) or where lifting large fish is necessary.

The 132-2 is 11' and, IMHO, waaaaaay too much rod for a novice caster. Not one angler in ten can cast an eleven foot rod as well as they can cast a ten, and the ten is a lot less work to fish.

Actually, I find the 11' 1322 a lot easier to cast than the 10' 1205. Then again, I'm 6'2" tall and have been swinging 11' surf rods since my teens, so take it for what it's worth.

The 1205 will serve the double duty of medium to big plugs and light chunking better in any event.

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

Hello,This is a fact about the XRA 1322 11', XRA 1321 11' and the XSRA 1322-2 11', XSRA 1321-2 11'finish rods.I have been keeping a close eye on the results of Surfcasters who have been spin casters all there life or people whom where using another product with spinning or conventional.There has been an easy transition for them with the rod with less back lashes than ever before with conventional and less line tangles with spinning and increase distance with much less effort .The XRA or the XSRA models load with little effort and have a smooth recovery which help eliminate backlashes.Good Luck,Ron

Hi All,

Thanks to all for your helpful tips. Everyone's reply is truly appreciated. Allow me explain my choice on the xra 1322. My first rod was a 10-foot ugly stick. Not knowing much about surf fishing I used it for chunking as well as PLUGGING. Nearly tore off my arm, but I persisted for a few months. I fish more or less 4 hrs per fishing trip, some times more. I caught blue fish with it throwing tins in the suds. Due to that I gained upper body and arm strength. From my reading posts online and learning from a few friends I learned that thicker is not necessarily better or stronger. I've read so much about the popularity and quality of lamiglas rods. And from what I've read the xra 1322 is of a high quality and versatile rod. I'm only 5'4" but I have a talk desire to master a great rod. I didn't want to have to buy a rod and will later want to replace with a better rod. Anyway, I was offered a very good price on an xra 1322 and could not refuse the offer. By next week I will be a proud owner of a brand new xra 1322. If it turns out that it's too much for me to handle, you may see and auction or a trade for a comparable lighter and shorter lami. From some of your replies I may have a good chance on keeping it. Sooooooo, wish me luck or I guess for some greedy boys out there bad luck smile.gif, depending on where you stand.

Best of luck to all and thanks,

Joan

Joan-

You can't go wrong on the 132-2 (I am five foot ten and a half inches tall). I have one for (conventional) plugging...it's my favorite stick in the arsenal.

The stick does cast itself.

But...to get the most out of the stick, it would be worthwhile to get the right casting technique down.

-FWW

Neophyte questions -

1. What is the difference between the XRA 1322 and the XRA 1321?

2. I assume the -2 is for a two piece rod, right?

3. As a beginner conventional surfcaster, what would be an appropriate reel for either of these rods?

4. (I'm sure I'll have many more questions)

Thanks in advance!

------------------

JAG

"A legend in my own mind"

<*)))))><

Hi Joan, The XRA 1321 11'rated for 7/8 to 3oz lures is lighter in weight and will need less effort to load and cast than the XRA 1322 11' rated for 1 to 5oz lures. Also your choice of rod depends on what weight lures your going to cast. Best Wishes and Good Casting, Ron

I bet she does real well with that rod, smoother cast and few lashes, give the rod a good chance. p.s. it loves the big gibbs polaris poppers and tin, If you can see it landwink.gif

------------------

only Dads stay home at night, got Diapers?

im a convicted plug felon

Plug Ho!

bassmaster_skunk.gif

Actually, JAG, the "2" in that product code has nothing to do with the power of the rod, or the number of pieces. It was the second rod Ron designed for the XRA series wink.gif

Chronologically, they go like this:

XRA 1321

XRA 1322

XRA 1083

XRA 1204

XRA 1205

Various power ratings in the mix there, but the last number refers only to the order in which Lami started producing them.

Later models, like the 126 1MH and the 136H, have power ratings in the product code.

I think all of the production rods, maybe with the exception of the 8' one, are now 2-piece. Or maybe the 9' one is also 1 piece?

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

• 9 months later...

Are the Ron Arra rods designed for pendulum casting? I am starting to get the hang of pendulum and off-the-ground casting and would be interested in a rod for throwing 2 - 4 oz lures using that style.

I have tried pendulum casting with rods that are not designed for it (i.e., without zoned actions) such as the Breakaway 11-9 (which I love as general surf casting rod) and could tell there was a big difference in distance between it and rods that were designed for pendulum casting, such as the Seeker British-styled Surf Rods.

Tom