Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pettypace

Quick and Dirty Rotary Bucktail Tying Vise

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Crude but effective. The 6" needle nose Vise Grips (6LN) were just the right size to jam securely into a length of 1/2" copper tubing -- no fitting, no welding, no machining -- and lined up for rotary motion. A length of plastic tubing over the jaws protects the hook.

This securely holds a 5 ounce jig with a 9/0 hook down to a 6/0 hook without re-adjusting the jaws. But YMMV -- newer Vise Grips don't seem to have as much spring in the jaws.

I made something similar a while ago. I drilled a hole big enough to snugly fit the handle of a 3/8ths ratchet into 2 1ft sections of 2x3. Then welded (very poorly) a pair of locking pliers like yours to a long 3/8ths extension. Very easy to spin the whole rig and get it to stay in the position you want.

On 7/29/2020 at 0:53 PM, YakkinLI said:

I made something similar a while ago. I drilled a hole big enough to snugly fit the handle of a 3/8ths ratchet into 2 1ft sections of 2x3. Then welded (very poorly) a pair of locking pliers like yours to a long 3/8ths extension. Very easy to spin the whole rig and get it to stay in the position you want.

I'm having a hard time imagining this, can you please post a picture? 

6 hours ago, RobG922 said:

I'm having a hard time imagining this, can you please post a picture? 

Sure, I'm actually in the process of making a new setup. I'll post once I get outta work

On 8/8/2020 at 4:07 PM, YakkinLI said:

Sure, I'm actually in the process of making a new setup. I'll post once I get outta work

Sweet thanks! 

I'm probably going to redo the extension and locking pliers part. It took a bath during hurricane Sandy so the adjustment knob is rusted. Quick and cheap.

34 mins ago, YakkinLI said:

20200809_204910.jpg

This is awesome!!! Very creative. I think I'm going to do something similar. Thanks for sharing