Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gadwall8

What's the best $60 Tog Blank?

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about the same thing and may try using a Rainshadow SWS696 which specs out as follows:

length: 7' 10"; pieces: 1; line wght: 20-40

butt: .920; tip: 7.5; action: Mod/Fast

power: HVY; price: $50.18

I will probably trim a total of 6+/- inches. First I need to finish a lighter version using a Rainshadow SWS70MH. Seem to be very nice blanks for VERY reasonable prices. They have gotten good reviews on rodbuilder.org

Lami MB 114 3F cut to a 12 tip and trimmed to 7 ft 6".

BT 108 3M cut to a 12 tip then trimmed to 7 ft 8"

Like a shorter rod. Lami BT 96 3M cut to an 11 tip, gives you a rod ~ 7ft 4".

I got a couple 114 3F blanks here now and am gonna turn one into a tog stick very soon smile.gif

Prefessa - yah really cut it to a 12 tip? I'm thinkin' more like a 10 or 11 maybe?

TimS

Tim, there is a post on another site I can direct you to which goes through along list of fishing situations and what size the tip should be cut too.

My opinion on cutting it to a 10 or 11, is that for the shallow water it will be OK, but out deeper I do not think it would be good for the heavy sinkers/current you will have to use/deal with. I cut mine to a 12, but I haven't wrapped it yet, so that's how much you can bank on my opinion.

Thanks Billy, I already got the info from NE smile.gif I have the perfect deep water/heavy sinker tog stick already...I'm looking for the perfect inshore tog stickwink.gif The MB1083M cut to an 11 tip is pretty close...I'm anticipating that the MB1143F cut to an 11 tip is gonna be even bettersmile.gif

I'll let you know...or I'll let you play with it when we go toggin' - but it won't be in purple or anything - it's a honey blank - it's gonna be all Earth tones baby! cwm12.gif

TimS

Tim:

The 114 3F was cut to a variety of tip sizes to suit conditions. A 12 tip gives you a good all around tog stick. Good rod for 35-90 ft of water. Once you go into the deep, with sinker weights of 10 ounces or more the 13 tip is preferred. These rods are really fast tapered so they get really stiff really fast! For fishing braid it may be a good idea to go to an 11 tip, but you have to see how it handles lead at that point. I think it will be fine. My friend Steve, "The EC Newell Man" has his cut this way for the 25-60 ft depths. The 10 tip probably won't cut it unless your fishing shallow with fiddlers. Start with the 10 tip and do a static deflection test(You can't uncut a blank) then trim from there. Ive been using my 114 3F to a 13 tip with braid(65#) for a few years and find it's too much rod until you get to ~55 ft of water, but it's deadly in the deep! Caught some real slobs with that stick! Below 55 ft I fish with an MB96 3E cut to a 12 tip. For inshore toggin I use the BT96 3M cut to a 10 tip. That's a proven arsenal that all the pinhookers fished with for years.

Hope this helps!

Prefessa

Tim - I thought I was the only one thinking of Earth tones for that blank. With all the trees and leaves changing colors around here, I thought I had a great idea to make the wraps look like a leaf. Guess you beat me to it. But, now we both are thinking alike, so is a Pink & Purple rod in the works???

3 of rods mentioned, 1143F, 1803M, and 963M, are all sitting in my basement, waiting to be wrapped. Personally, I do not like the thin walls of the 1083 & 963 (same blank, one is just shorter?) - makes me a bit nervous when comparing it to a CGBT841M.

Prefessa, when are you going on the Ocean Eagle to show me your rods? I'm gonna take a look at Spigola's fishing rods this Sunday.

Thanks Prefessasmile.gif I already have a factory XSW70XHC Lami that will do anything I need it to do tog-wise. I also wrapped a MB1083M cut to an 11 tip which will do all the inshore real shallow stuff. The MB1143F will be wrapped to handle the same inshore stuff but with a little more authority than the 1083M...and it'll also be able to handle the deeper stuff but with a little more bend in the middle of the rod than the factory stick I use.

It's sort of a redundant rod for me...but I like glass icon14.gif

Billy, I'll try to get a picture of the Earth tone colors on the last honey Lami I wrapped...it does sort of look like fall leaves in color smile.gif

TimS