Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icecavs7

Sinker style

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Well know fact... you catch more fish with 7oz. sinkers. :) 

to be more truthfull, they are lighter than 8, when a 6 just won’t do. 

4 hours ago, delaware surfman said:

What’s the fascination of 7 ounce sinkers? 
A huge bunker chunk I’m tossing could go an ounce or two either way. 
But then again I have the rod and reels to toss heavy weights, thanks John 

There the perfect weight alot of the time. If your throwing a big chunk you need a big hunk of lead to pull it out there at least 7. 

I have some older Reading molds for 4 sided pyramids with slots for eyelets on both top and bottom. 

These sinkers are quite versatile. Attach to the fat end to hold bottom, the skinny end for retrieving slowly while keeping the bait moving. It also allows "daisy chaining" sinkers in line with clips to increase/double the weight. Works in a pinch, but is less than ideal.

I would love to make some frog tongues with eyelets on both top and bottom. However, with the amount I invested for my frog tongue molds, I am hesitant to drill them out. I do have some 3 sided pyramid molds I plan on experimenting with before I commit to the frog tongues. 

Anyone here have experience adding eyelet slots to molds?

20201117_165756.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I drilled out a 7 to make it an inline slider years ago for fun.. Probably at 5oz now. Casts great. If I had some 9's they'd be close to 7 after drilling. I only use these on calm days.

7oz..jpg

Edited by 7nBait

On 11/17/2020 at 4:06 PM, Jim McFeeley said:

There the perfect weight alot of the time. If your throwing a big chunk you need a big hunk of lead to pull it out there at least 7. 

I can’t tell the difference in 1 ounce casting with the rods I chunk heavy weights with. In fact heavier weights load just fine.
I’m using a custom Red Drum Tackle Lamiglas with a Akios Shuttle. It’s just the right setup for big weight and bait. It could handle 12 if needed but I’m looking into Sputnik’s, although some of the reviews in this thread are less than favorable. 
The other big bait rods might benefit from 7 ounces, but can handle 8 no problem, I make all my own sinkers, bucktails and jigs. I have 4 sided pyramids and Hatteras styles. 

Just ordered some of these from a guy in VA Beach they look they they are a cross between a 3 sided pyramid and frog tongue. 5fb73425453b1_3sisdedpyramid.jpeg.e8d2cc0357b0db9989cca14497e6132d.jpeg

The price is really good also 6oz sinker for $1.20 each

Edited by Abu caster

5 hours ago, Abu caster said:

Just ordered some of these from a guy in VA Beach they look they they are a cross between a 3 sided pyramid and frog tongue. 5fb73425453b1_3sisdedpyramid.jpeg.e8d2cc0357b0db9989cca14497e6132d.jpeg

The price is really good also 6oz sinker for $1.20 each

These are my favorites, I still have a good variety from 6-12 oz.

unfortunately no but I figured with this design the 6 might hold as good as a 7 regular pyramid. Time will tell. Just in case anyone is interested the name of the company is Atlantic Lead Company. I stumbled across these when looking for the magic 7 oz. if you have your heart set on 7 oz Carolina Cast Pro does sell a 7 oz pyramid

I used to fish Assateague, but haven’t been in years. I made a decision to go south and haven’t left Virginia/NC piers and NC beaches since. Interesting that now we are looking at reports of drum on Assateague in late October and we are complaining that the  Bay fish haven’t showed up in NC yet. 

In NC we debate sinkers too, 4-sided vs 3-sided, heavy 8s vs regular 8s. But in my experience, weather when 7s are holding good is not weather that they bite good in. We tend to need weather to get them in the surf zone. Some swell and current is essential unless the bait is around. 

So the question is, would you say that 7 oz weather is the right weather for the MD and VA beaches? Or is it just the comfort/joy/ease of fishing in that weather? Or am I just missing the joke?

2 hours ago, CJS said:

I used to fish Assateague, but haven’t been in years. I made a decision to go south and haven’t left Virginia/NC piers and NC beaches since. Interesting that now we are looking at reports of drum on Assateague in late October and we are complaining that the  Bay fish haven’t showed up in NC yet. 

In NC we debate sinkers too, 4-sided vs 3-sided, heavy 8s vs regular 8s. But in my experience, weather when 7s are holding good is not weather that they bite good in. We tend to need weather to get them in the surf zone. Some swell and current is essential unless the bait is around. 

So the question is, would you say that 7 oz weather is the right weather for the MD and VA beaches? Or is it just the comfort/joy/ease of fishing in that weather? Or am I just missing the joke?

From my experiences when 7or 8  is just holding big drum  should be on the feed. Anything less doesn't seem too be enough current to get them feeding .

On Assateaque, I find that most drum I caught were on medium type days, wavey with swells and not much side current. Never went above 7oz last trip. 

They are just passing through in Md. so current might not matter as much, where as they stick around NC.  So feeding behavior might be different???

Edited by Catskill John

On 11/21/2020 at 11:14 AM, CJS said:

I spent the first week of November coming up empty on Hatteras while seeing pictures of drum caught on Assateague.